Skip to main content

The Longest Books I've Ever Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's theme: Longest Books I've Ever Read.

I don't read a ton of long books, but I certainly have read a few! I'm glad that this isn't a post I've done in the past, though, because the list wouldn't have changed all that much. Most of the books in my top ten longest have been there for a very long time.

OK, some rules for this. Firstly, I'm not counting multiple books in the same series. Otherwise, this would be almost entirely books in the same couple of series, and that's no fun. If there are other books in the series that are at least as long as the ones on this list, I'll give them a quick mention in the slot for the one that is included. Secondly, I'm just going with whatever the page count is on my shelf on Goodreads. With some of these, there's a lot of editions with wildly varying page counts, and I don't have time to try and figure out exactly how many pages my copy of the book had.

So, in ascending order:
THE ILIAD by Homer - 683 pages: I read this as a summer assignment before my senior year of high school, and honestly, I might have skimmed through a few sections because it was getting a bit repetitive. This is also in verse, so not the entire page was taken up by words.

EMPIRE OF STORMS by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass #5) - 693 pages: I cannot believe I read nearly 700 pages of this. I enjoyed most of it while I was reading it, but pretty much immediately on finishing it, my thoughts turned to what the hell did I just read. And I'm not going to finish the series.

THE YEAR I TURNED SIXTEEN by Diane Schwemm - 720 pages: I wasn't sure whether to count this because it was originally published as four separate books, but it was rereleased as this giant one, so I'm going to say it's one book. I don't really have a lot of memories of this book besides one giant spoiler, so I'll just say that I was disappointed.


LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices #1) - 720 pages: This felt so much shorter because I was just flying through it! I love this book so much, and I'm glad that there are over 700 pages of it for me to enjoy. Other long books in this series: LORD OF SHADOWS (701 pages).

CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #6) - 725 pages: This is going to count as a separate entry because even though it's not the only book on this list from the Shadowhunter world, it is the only book from this specific series. I really don't remember a lot about this.


BREAKING DAWN by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight #4) - 756 pages: I read this in elementary school, which was...maybe a bit too soon. I do remember that it was my favorite in the series, which makes it good that it was the longest!

THE SWEET FAR THING by Libba Bray (Gemma Doyle #3) - 819 pages: This book is so much longer than the others in the series, and to me, it was a little bit of a let-down. I understand why it ended the way it did, but I wasn't very happy with it while reading, which made that my overall impression of the book.

WINTER by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #4) - 827 pages: Another really long book that I absolutely flew through! I remember when I first got it, I was so surprised by how small it looked - the pages were so thin! It actually took me a while to get used to that and not try to turn about four pages at once!


HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter #5) - 870 pages: Ah, yes, the absolute brick of the Harry Potter series. This book isn't my favorite of the series, but in all the times I've reread it, I haven't found anything to cut out that would make it closer in length to the other books. It's this long because it needs to be. Other long books in this series: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS (759 pages), HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (734 pages).

A STORM OF SWORDS by George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) - 1178 pages: These are the longest books I've ever read by far, and I really don't see any other books getting close in the foreseeable future. Other long books in this series: A DANCE WITH DRAGONS (1125 pages), A FEAST FOR CROWS (1061 pages), A CLASH OF KINGS (1010 pages), A GAME OF THRONES (695 pages).
What are the longest books you've ever read? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. Wait we both read the Twilight series in elementary school? Look at us in the club of "reading books beyond our age capacity". WOOT! (I also read this series with my mom which was... interesting?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was DEFINITELY not the best reading experience I've had, but I couldn't imagine reading it with my mom!

      Delete
  2. I maxed out in the 700s with my books. I really am not a fan of those giant tomes, but I have read many Cassandra Clare and SJM books, which are all pretty long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had quite a few of those in either my top 10 or really close! It's big fantasy series that always do that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

My Top Ten Books of 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly f eature at The Broke and the Bookish . This week's theme: top ten books of 2016. A little less than a year ago, I started my blog by making a post of my top 10 favorite books of 2015 . And now here we are again! I've come so far in blogging , and it 's really amazing to be creating the same kind of post as my fi rst one again - but I'l l save the nostalgia for my blogo versary post later this week. Last year, all of the books on my list were also on my all-time favorites list. I didn't quite read ten all-time favorites this year, so I added a couple of five-star but not-quite-favorite books to this post. I also didn't include any rereads on this list - I reread quite a few favorite books this year, and that wouldn't be fair to the rest! But anyway, here are my ten favorite books that I read in 2016. 10. THUD! by Terry Pratchett (Discworld #34) I don't think it would really be a list of my favorite books from a ye