Skip to main content

My Favorite Unpopular Books

Last week, I saw an older BooksandLala video where she went through the books she'd read on Goodreads and saw which ones had low average ratings but high personal ratings. I thought that looked really fun and wanted to give it a try!

I didn't find any absolute shockers for this list. The lowest-rated book I gave 5 stars to was SON OF A WITCH by Gregory Maguire, which I read over six years ago and remember nothing about. And in those lower ratings, I found a lot of books I'd rated 2 or 3 stars. Even so, there were certainly some books I expected to be rated a little higher!
First up, THE LOVE INTEREST by Cale Dietrich, with an average rating of 3.20 stars. For a book that I remember being so hyped, I was surprised that it was rated so low! From what I can see in reviews, the consensus seems to be that it was too hyped and didn't quite live up to people's expectations. A lot of people brought up a plotline that I had slight problems with, too, but I really enjoyed reading this and gave it 4 stars.

Next, one that really surprised me: THE UNBINDING OF MARY READE by Miriam McNamara only has an average rating of 3.23 stars! There doesn't seem to be a consensus of why this one was so apparently disappointing. I've been able to recommend this book on the premise of gay pirates alone, not that it doesn't have other things going for it! I didn't totally love this book - I gave it 4 stars - but I'm really disappointed that it's rated so low.

Next is one I understand more: THAT INEVITABLE VICTORIAN THING by E.K. Johnston is another one with an average rating of 3.23 stars. The general verdict from the reviews is something I totally understand: not enough worldbuilding. Even so, I loved the setting and the premise so much that I really enjoyed reading this and gave it 4 stars. I would definitely still recommend it, especially because there's really just nothing else like this out there.
 
Another one I understand: THIS DARKNESS MINE by Mindy McGinnis is the third book on this list that has an average rating of 3.23 stars. This book messed me up. And not everyone's going to be a fan of that! Almost every review that I've seen boils down to "this book is weird," which is totally true. If you're looking for a deeply disturbing Halloween thriller, I definitely recommend this one. I gave this book 4 stars. It's also worth noting that this is the only Mindy McGinnis book I've read that didn't make it onto my favorites shelf.

Coming back to the big surprises: FINAL DRAFT by Riley Redgate has an average rating of 3.56 stars. This book got 5 stars from me and almost got a spot on my favorites shelf. I can't seem to find any consensus in the negative reviews, which just makes me all the more curious. I can understand that it's not a book for everyone - it certainly took some time to grow on me - but I did not expect it to be rated this low.

My last big surprise was 10 THINGS I CAN SEE FROM HERE by Carrie Mac, which has an average rating of 3.58 stars. This is another almost-favorite that I gave 5 stars. It's another one where reviews seem to be all over the place, but I can't really think of anything in the negative reviews that I would have agreed with that much. I absolutely adore this book, partially because it gets representation of anxiety so right. No matter the average rating, I still highly, highly recommend this.
What are some of your favorite unpopular books? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. I only read Final Draft, which was ok. I didn't hate it. I call books like this my "black sheep" books, and my most recent black sheep was Meet the Sky. I gave it 5-stars, but its average rating is 3.65. Hey, one person's trash is another person's treasure, as the old saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the "black sheep" books label! I'm definitely going to use that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a