Skip to main content

My Unfinished Series

Lately, I've become much more of a standalone person. It's not something I've had a conscious tendency towards - it just happened. But it means I've been neglecting my in-progress series! 

The rules I used when putting this list together: there has to be at least one book released that I haven't read. No comic series. And the rest of the series has to still be on my TBR. If I hadn't put that last rule in there, this list would have been about three times as long - there are so many series where I read the first book, put the rest of the series on my TBR, and then lose interest when I don't pick up the second book for a while.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here are 9 series I still haven't finished.
AN EMBER IN THE ASHES
1 book left to catch up; last read 4 months ago
I'm glad that I didn't write this post before June, because it took me two and a half years to finally read A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT. When I did catch up, it was going to be so I could read A REAPER AT THE GATES when it released! I guess that hasn't happened, but the good news is that this series is even better than I remembered and I will definitely be reading it soon.
WAYWARD CHILDREN
1 book left to catch up; last read 9 months ago
These books are so short that I have no excuse to not be totally caught up, and yet here we are! I don't have any good reason that I haven't read BENEATH THE SUGAR SKY yet, but hopefully I'll get to it soon!
THE LADY JANIES
1 book left to catch up; last read 10 months ago
It took me a long time to pick up MY LADY JANE, but I enjoyed it so much that I thought I would get my hands on the sequel as soon as I could. That didn't happen. I don't feel too bad since MY PLAIN JANE only released in June, but hopefully I'll have it read well in advance of book 3!

MASK OF SHADOWS
1 book left to catch up; last read 1 year, 1 month ago
I'm actually okay with this - RUIN OF STARS was pretty much just released, and I only read MASK OF SHADOWS so fast because I had an ARC. I'm really excited to finally get to this! At some point.
THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE
1 book left to catch up; last read 1 year, 3 months ago
I told myself that I'd read THE SHIP BEYOND TIME before I went to the Heidi Heilig event a couple weeks ago. That didn't happen. At this point I might need to reread THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE before diving into it, but that'll be fun!

SHADES OF MAGIC
2 books left to catch up; last read 1 year, 3 months ago
I was basically the last person in the world to start this series, and I will definitely be the last person to finish it. I haven't even read A GATHERING OF SHADOWS! And if the gap between me reading books two and three is as long as this one, we'll have a while to wait before I check this one off the list.
RED QUEEN
1 book left to catch up; last read 1 year, 8 months ago
I read the first three books in this series, plus the two prequel novellas, in the span of about a month. That was right when KING'S CAGE released, so there had to be a break before WAR STORM. But I loved the series so much that I'd finish it as soon as I could, right? Wrong. I still don't know when I'm going to get the chance to pick this one up.
PASSENGER
1 book left to catch up; last read 2 years, 9 months ago
This is definitely the most embarrassing. I bought and read PASSENGER on release day. So, when WAYFARER came out, I, naturally, bought it on release day....and didn't read it. And kept not reading it. Oops? I say that Alexandra Bracken is one of my favorite authors and yet I haven't read her last three books. I really need to get on that.


THE DIVINERS
1 book left to catch up; last read 3 years, 1 month ago
This one makes a bit of sense because it's actually only been about a year since BEFORE THE DEVIL BREAKS YOU was released. I actually just talked about that in my post the other day about how bad I am at actually reading my most anticipated books in a timely manner. I will definitely get to this one soon - and actually, if I can manage to get a copy, this is the perfect time of year for it! 
TIFFANY ACHING
1 book left to catch up; last read over 7 years ago
But Clara, why is PASSENGER the most embarrassing when you have a series that you've left unfinished for more than twice that amount of time? Because I actually have a reason for this one. I am in deep, deep denial that Terry Pratchett is dead and that THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN is the last Discworld book ever. There is going to be some serious crying when I finally do read this, because this series has meant so much to me for so long and I don't want it to be over. I do, however, very much need to read this book. Someday.  
What are some series you still haven't finished? Which ones of these should I get to first? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a