Skip to main content

Can I Beat My Goodreads Challenge?

I've usually had a good track record with my Goodreads challenges. It was a little bit of a struggle last year, but in other years, I've made it with time to spare and actually increased my challenge in a couple of cases. I was so sure that last year was just a fluke and I'd be back to breezing through my challenges without making any special effort.

Not so much.

I honestly don't remember what I set my challenge as at the beginning of the year. I had to lower it pretty quickly when I got horribly behind, and as of right now, my Goodreads challenge is to read 100 books. I know that's a lot for some people, but I haven't set it this low since 2013. And every year since then, I've ended up reading at least 140 books. My highest goal was 170 in in 2015, which I broke by reading 174 books. My highest number was actually the next year, when I set my goal lower but wound up reading 180 books.

And now, when my goal has been lowered to 100 and we are (at the time of writing this post - maybe I'll have read another book in the meantime) 76% of the way through with the year. I've only read 49 books. That is, for me...not great.

So, what are my chances of meeting my reading goal? I'm not overly optimistic. I haven't yet decided whether I'll give myself a break and lower the challenge again. I think I'll see how the next couple of weeks of reading go, because, believe it or not, my reading has picked up over the past month or so.

In any case, it's definitely made me think about my reading challenge for next year. The plan right now is to set it at something very low (for me), like 50 or 60, and then increase it as I go along (hopefully). And yes, I know there is an option to not meet my challenge. I'm just not going to let that be a real option.

A side note - I've basically dropped out of all of my other reading challenges for this year. They're just not going to happen. And really, that's fine.
How are your reading challenges going? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. I always use a low number and raise it as I get closer. It eliminates not meeting expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's looking like a really good strategy for next year! I think it's going to be better for me to have a lot of little pushes throughout the year like that than to have one big thing all at the beginning.

      Delete
  2. This whole post is such a mood. My Goodreads Challenge isn't quite as behind as yours, but all my other challenges? They might as well never have existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was SO ambitious with all of those, and I'm nowhere close to being done with any of them. Oops!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February Wrap-Up

I'm gonna be honest here : February's been rough. I'm surprised that I g ot a whole month's worth of posts up. I can 't really go into all the details right now, but the biggest thing is that I've had a migraine for almost two month s now and it's really getting in the way of me doing things. I've been to the doctor and gotten an MRI , but we're still w a iting on the results . So that's been messing with everything else in my life. Reading-wise, that means tha t I've been turning to audiobooks a lot. There are times that I literally don't have the energy to do anythi ng more than lie in the dark, but with audiobooks, I can get some amount of reading done even then. If you guys ha ve an y audiobook recomm endations, send them my way!   THE BOOKS PRODIGY by Marie Lu (Legend #2): I didn't like this one as much as LEGEND. I didn't think the plot was as interesting, and it was also pretty predictable. It set up the ...

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha...

Ten 2016 Releases I Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY Plan To)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten 2016 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY plan to) So, as you may have noticed, I only posted once last week. My plan for 2017 to be completely on schedule is off to a GREAT start. But it's not going to happen again! I have plans, and I'm going to stick to them. And one misstep shouldn't mean I give up on the whole goal! So here's to the rest of 2017 being completely on schedule. Anyway, moving on to posts that are on schedule - top ten Tuesday! This was a pretty easy topic - I never get around to all of the books that I want to. I'd say that the I read the most releases from any given year in the next year, so I'm sure I'll be reading plenty of 2016 releases this year. Here are the ten that I'm most excited about! THIS SAVAGE SONG by Victoria Schwab (Monsters of Verity #1): I've been saying that this book ...