Skip to main content

August Wrap-Up

I'm having a bunch of weird feelings about it being the last day of August right now. I mean, I love autumn, and I'm SO EXCITED that summer is coming to an end because it means cooler temperatures and flannel and pumpkin-flavored things and pretty colors, but at the same time...there's just no way that today's the last day of August. That's not a thing that's happening right now in my head. It's just not. I think I'm stuck near the end of July somewhere.

And with the end of August comes the end of summer break. Within a week, I'll be starting my second year of college! Equal parts exciting and intimidating. The week or so is definitely going to be hectic, what with moving and such, so any posts I manage to get up will be scheduled in advance.

August was a pretty great reading month for me - I was actually hoping to get a bit more in, considering it's my last month of 2017 without classes, but I think I still did rather well. And in terms of star ratings, this was an amazing month. A third of the books I read were 5-star reads!
THE BOOKS

TALES FROM THE SHADOWHUNTER ACADEMY by Cassandra Clare: This was a really interesting story collection! I liked getting to know more about the Shadowhunter world, and I liked how this tied a bunch of characters from the first four series together, both ones we've seen before and ones we haven't seen, but I really thought I was going to be getting more about Simon.

LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices #1): This was incredible. I did not at all expect it to be as good as it was. It's absolutely my favorite of the Shadowhunter books that I've read, and I've been impatiently waiting for my library hold on LORD OF SHADOWS to come in since I finished. Once I got past the beginning, it didn't even really seem that long because I was so invested in the story.

CAPTAIN MARVEL, VOL. 1: RISE OF ALPHA FIGHT by Tara Butters: I really had no idea what was going on here. I think I got the general idea (maybe), and I always appreciate some Carol Danvers sass, but I couldn't tell you why she was in space or who the other characters were. ½

POE DAMERON, VOL. 1: BLACK SQUADRON by Charles Soule: This is such a promising start to another Star Wars comic series! And it's definitely solidified my love of Poe Dameron and Leia's new(ish) role as General. I'll have to read some more before December to hold me over until The Last Jedi.

DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham: This was a really interesting book, but most of the things that I wanted to say about it are going to get overshadowed by the fact that there is a canon, on-page self-describing confirmed aromantic asexual character. I've literally never seen that in a book before and I think I just about screamed.

JUST VISITING by Dahlia Adler: This was a really interesting read because it's very different from pretty much all other YA contemporaries I've read, in a good way. At the same time, though, it just didn't quite pull me in enough for me to really love it. The characters were fantastic, though. ½

ALEX, APPROXIMATELY by Jenn Bennett: This was such a cute book! Bailey's a wonderful main character, and Porter has that perfect balance of not being overly nice and not being a total asshole that just makes you forgive everything and love him. And there were a couple of darker themes in the book that I wasn't expecting but that were handled really well.

THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzi Lee: I finally got a chance to read this! It definitely isn't what I thought I was getting into, and it took me a while to readjust my expectations. Once I did that, though, it was a really great book! My favorite parts were near the end, so I can't say much, but I can say that I'm very excited for the sequel.

HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME by Adam Silvera: I had no idea how much I would love this book or how much it would emotionally destroy me. It's just been one of those books that I can't stop thinking about. For such a short book, it packed an incredible emotional punch, and I feel like I need to real it again to really appreciate how intricately crafted everything was. Not yet, though. I'm still recovering.

WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI by Sandhya Menon: Another book that I've been looking forward to forever! I loved both Dimple and Rishi, and I loved seeing their relationship evolve throughout the book. I'm really excited to see what Sandhya Menon writes next.

THE CROWN'S FATE by Evelyn Skye (The Crown's Game #2): After the first book in this duology totally blew me away, I knew that this one wasn't going to disappoint me. For the first hundred pages or so, I thought it might actually be even better, but I think it lost a bit of steam after that. It was still a fantastic book, but I wasn't kept as much on the edge of my seat. I'm really sad that the series is over, but it's such a good ending.

OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley: This was a bit of a disappointment, and surprisingly, the part that I liked least was the relationship between Aki and Christa. There was just too much going on there that was somewhat iffy basis for a relationship, so I didn't find myself rooting for them. The parts about family and friendship were pretty great, though.

YOU'RE WELCOME, UNIVERSE by Whitney Gardner: I think my number-one complaint about this book is that there wasn't more art. There's already quite a bit, and I love what was there so much that I really wanted to see more! I enjoyed the story, but the art is what really made this book stand out. ½

WE ARE OKAY by Nina LaCour: Wow. This was quite an adventure for such a tiny little book! I had no idea that I was going to be so invested, or that characters I'd known for fewer than 200 pages were going to leave me sobbing so much I had to take a moment to collect myself before turning the page. It's just so beautiful.

THE LOVE INTEREST by Cale Dietrich: This was a really fun book! I was excited about what was going on, I liked the characters, I thought the whole premise was fascinating, and it was really funny to look at the most horrible clichés and be able to think of so many books that follow that exact same love interest pattern.

DNFed this month:
  • THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin (Mara Dyer #1): I was not having a great time reading this. When I got to page 200, I realized that I'd rather read a spoilery recap than finish the book. So I did. And I'm glad I DNFed it, because there was just more and more of stuff I didn't like in the first place, plus a bunch of stuff that made absolutely no sense.
READING STATS
  • Total books: 15 completed, 1 DNF
  • Longest book: Lady Midnight, 698 pages
  • Shortest book: Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Rise of Alpha Flight, 112 pages
  • Favorite book: History is All You Left Me
  • Least favorite book: 

Backlist Reader Challenge: 1 this month, overall 21/60 (Just Visiting)

Read it Again, Sam Challenge: 0 this month, overall 18/16+

2017 Debut Author Challenge: 3 this month, overall 11/12 (When Dimple Met Rishi, You're Welcome, Universe, The Love Interest)

2017 Series Enders Challenge: 1 this month, overall 5/5-10 (The Crown's Fate) - officially completed! Hopefully I'll be reading more, though.

BLOG POSTS
BLOGGING CHALLENGE PROGRESS

2017 Discussion Challenge: 1 this month, overall 6/11-20 (I Don't Like Series Finales) - I decided to go ahead and count How to Choose Your Next Book from last month, since it's not my typical discussion post but closer to that than anything else.

How are you doing this month? Coping with the fact that summer is pretty much over? Or excited for fall, like me? What great (or not-so-great) books have you been reading lately? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. What a great number of books read. I am behind on my discussion challenge....really need to get cracking on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I thought I set such a reasonable goal for myself, but it seems like every month I'm a little farther behind!

      Delete
  2. Great month you had! I'm trying to catch up on my discussion challenge!

    Here’s my August Monthly Wrap Up!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'm hoping to catch up a lot in the next couple of months so I'm not rushing in December.

      Delete
  3. What a great reading month! Most of the stuff you read sounds awesome! I've read History is All you left me, The gentleman's Guide and When Dimple Met Rishi and loved all of them. I haven't read The Crown's Fate yet, but The Crowns Game was one of my favorite books of last year! I really want to read all of the other books you talked about! Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved ALL of the books you're talking about! If you loved The Crown's Game, I think you're really going to like The Crown's Fate - I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  4. Such a great reading month! I loved The Gentleman's Guide. Such a great book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely book! I'm so glad I finally got to read it.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had such a great month :) cool! I feel like I also had a really good August, in terms of how many 5 star reads there were :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great reading month! I'm glad to hear your August was good, too!

      Delete
  6. I'm right there with you on not being able to believe how fast this year is going. I hope the start to your school year has gone incredibly well!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with college! A lot of the books you read are on my TBR list. I’m especially excited to read Dreamland Burning and The Gentleman’s Guide. I hope you have a great September!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read "The Gentleman's Guide To Vice and Virtue," so I'm looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great month of reading! I also loved Dimple and Rishi and can't wait to read more by this author. I'm reading We Are Okay right now and it's got me too. I'm also reading Warcross and finding it a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a