Skip to main content

My Ten Best & Worst Required Reading Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: Back to School Freebie!

It's almost time to go back to school! I don't actually start for a couple more weeks, but it's certainly starting to feel like that time again. And a new school year with new classes means new required reading books - so what better time to look back on required reading of the past?

I have a hugely complicated relationship with required reading. I've already written two discussion posts about that, which you can find here and here. But between those two posts, I've talked about relatively few examples, so that's what I'm going to be doing here. And since I couldn't come up with enough amazing books or enough awful books for a whole list of ten, I'm splitting this one in half.

THE BEST

THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald: I've been required to read this twice now, once for my AP Lang class in high school and once for my America in 1925 class last year. It was incredible the first time and even better the second. I feel like I could read it a million times and discover something new with every reread.

MACBETH by William Shakespeare: I made myself only include one Shakespeare play on this list, and it was a tough decision between this and ROMEO AND JULIET, but this one won out. I didn't really appreciate that this was required - I've heard much more about birds and bodily fluids in this play than I ever care to - but the fact that nothing could spoil how much I enjoyed reading this really speaks to how great it was.

THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton: I really need to reread this book! It was required reading for me in 7th grade, which was just about seven years ago now, and it's still stuck with me. The story was that gripping.

OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck: The fact that such a tiny book could pack such an emotional punch still amazes me. This is a book that I doubt I would have picked up if it hadn't been required, so I'm really happy that it was assigned.

A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING by Ruth Ozeki: My experience reading this was very interesting, because it wasn't for a class; it was one of those things where everyone is required to read the same book over the summer. So even though it was required, I got to read it as if it wasn't. I still have mixed feelings about the ending, but I loved the rest of the book so much that looking back, I'm able to overlook that a bit.

THE WORST

DEATH OF A SALESMAN by Arthur Miller: This is my least favorite thing that I've ever been required to read. And after I read it, I had to watch the movie, which I also hated. I have absolutely no regrets about never going back to this play.

HAMLET: POEM UNLIMITED by Harold Bloom: This entire reading experience was awful. Firstly, I was told to just read the entire thing in a weekend. Secondly, there was the assumption that I'd read a lot more than just HAMLET, which I hadn't. Thirdly, there were multiple times when I'd read a sentence, read it aloud, and then read it to my mom, and neither of us would have any idea what it actually said. Would not recommend.

MILKWEED by Jerry Spinelli: This book takes "unlikable narrator" to a whole new level. I think half of the time I spent reading was actually just staring at the page, not believing that the character was making the decisions he did.

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Fyodor Dostoyevsky: I still think I could have liked this book...if it were about 300 pages shorter and had a different ending. There was so much repetition that I ended up skimming chunks of it, and if the class discussions were anything to go by, I didn't miss much. And the ending was just ridiculously preachy.

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? by Edward Albee: This was quite an adventure. It definitely had its moments, but I had no idea what the point was for about two thirds of the book. And for most of the time that I did know what was going on, I had no interest in it. This was a "it's not the play it's me" thing.

What are some of your favorite or least favorite books that you've been required to read? Did we have to read any of the same things? Do we have any of the same opinions? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

  1. I wasn't a fan of most of the stuff I had to read for school but the two that stick out as particularly bad are Lord of The Flies and Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre bored me so much I couldn't finish it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/top-ten-tuesday-121/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't required to read either of those. I'm definitely not going to read Lord of the Flies - I've heard so many negative things from so many people that it's just not worth my time! I've heard enough mixed things about Jane Eyre that I'm gonna give it a try, though.

      Delete
  2. We read a lot of Shakespeare's plays. I am a romantic and Romeo and Juliette was my favorite. Some of my favorite required reads were Lord of the Flies, The Assistant, To Kill a Mockingbird. I liked parts of a Farewell to Arms, but the war scenes were sort of boring for a teenage girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Romeo and Juliet too! I wasn't required to read any of the others you mentioned, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a