Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Great Books that Friends Recommended to Me

I absolutely love getting recommendations from people who know what I like in a book. Getting a good recommendation is, more often than not, getting a book you're guaranteed to like. And I have great friends who give me amazing recommendations. Here are ten of my favorites!

GRACELING by Kristin Cashore (Graceling #1): I'd definitely heard of this book before Sky @ Sky's Reading Corner recommended it to me, but it had been on my list for so long that I was starting to wonder whether I'd ever get around to it. But she kept talking about how amazing it was, and then she got me a copy for my birthday, so I had no excuses. And I LOVED it! I can't believe I almost missed out on it!

THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini: Another recommendation from Sky. (This time, she bribed me with fries so that I'd read it in one sitting. Long story.) I'd never really read anything like this, so I wasn't sure whether I would like it, but it was so beautifully crafted that it took my breath away.

ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE by Tamora Pierce (Song of the Lioness #1): Yet another recommendation from Sky! Though I have to also give credit to Avery @ The Pages are Bookining, who's been telling me to read Tamora Pierce for as long as I can remember. I probably would have liked this more if I'd read it in middle school, but it was still such a fun book.
HAWKEYE, VOL. 1: MY LIFE AS A WEAPON by Matt Fraction: I definitely owe Avery for this one - not only did this introduce me to how wonderful Hawkeye is, it got me absolutely hooked on comics! If I hadn't read this, I probably wouldn't have read Ms. Marvel, or the Star Wars comics, or Captain Marvel, and I can't even imagine that.
 HURT GO HAPPY by Ginny Rorby: Yet another book from Avery! This is so underrated - it's a beautiful story, it made me feel so many things, and it has a chimpanzee. What's not to like?

THE FRIDAY SOCIETY by Adrienne Kress: And now we've moved on to recommendations from people who don't have book blogs. I actually need to reread this one - I can't believe it's been almost four years since I first read it! As for why it's so great, I'll let the book speak for itself: "An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns - and the heroines who use them all."

THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir: I'd heard a lot about this book before it was recommended to me, but I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to read it. Frankly, I find space terrifying, and the idea of being stranded on Mars didn't sound like it would make for a fun book. But then I actually read it, and it wasn't just fun - it was actually funny. Definitely not what I was expecting!

THE PRINCESS BRIDE by William Goldman: I watched this movie before I even knew it was a book. Personally, I think this is one of the few cases where the movie is actually better than the book - but I loved the book, too. It took me a long time to read it, but I'm so glad I did.

LEVIATHAN by Scott Westerfeld (Leviathan #1): Here's another series that I need to reread. It's such a fascinating concept - World War One, but with machines versus animals. It doesn't hurt that both of the main characters (but especially Deryn) are amazing.

BLOODY JACK by L.A. Meyer (Bloody Jack #1): I'll be the first to admit that I have very mixed feelings about this series as a whole - it gets repetitive, the later books just aren't that interesting, and yet the first books are so great! I can't remember why this was recommended to me, but I'm so glad it was.

What are some books you've read because of recommendations? Have any recommendations led you to new favorites? What about recommendations that you haven't liked? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. Recommendations...recommendations EVERYWHERE!I'll never be able to keep up. *cries* It's always great to have a friend's rec before reading, though. Personally, I really like the look of The Friday Society and of course The Princess Bride and Alanna are high on my list. Ever grows the TBR!

    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so behind on books that people have recommended to me! And on reading in general, actually. I love The Friday Society - it's so underrated!

      Delete
  2. How are those steam punk novels? they seem very action packed and I've seen those covers around!
    Please check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both The Friday Society and the Leviathan series! I think that The Friday Society had stronger characters, but that the plot of the Leviathan series was absolutely fascinating - and each book was better than the last one!

      Delete
    2. More to add to my ever growing tbr pile! :D

      Delete
  3. I totally agree about The Martian! It's terrifying to imagine being in his situation and I was really surprised by the humor,too. I really enjoyed the book and I am glad to hear that you liked it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Martian was definitely a good surprise! I'm not in a rush to read more books like it or anything, but I'm glad I went out of my comfort zone a little bit.

      Delete
  4. I'm still kind of ashamed I haven't read The Princess Bride since I've watched the movie COUNTLESS TIMES AND IT IS PURE WONDERFULNESS.😂 And also I want to read the Martian because I've heard it's so funny!! And I love funny books. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is so good! I don't think it's QUITE as good as the movie, but then again, is anything?? And The Martian is definitely funny!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February Wrap-Up

I'm gonna be honest here : February's been rough. I'm surprised that I g ot a whole month's worth of posts up. I can 't really go into all the details right now, but the biggest thing is that I've had a migraine for almost two month s now and it's really getting in the way of me doing things. I've been to the doctor and gotten an MRI , but we're still w a iting on the results . So that's been messing with everything else in my life. Reading-wise, that means tha t I've been turning to audiobooks a lot. There are times that I literally don't have the energy to do anythi ng more than lie in the dark, but with audiobooks, I can get some amount of reading done even then. If you guys ha ve an y audiobook recomm endations, send them my way!   THE BOOKS PRODIGY by Marie Lu (Legend #2): I didn't like this one as much as LEGEND. I didn't think the plot was as interesting, and it was also pretty predictable. It set up the ...

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha...

Ten 2016 Releases I Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY Plan To)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten 2016 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY plan to) So, as you may have noticed, I only posted once last week. My plan for 2017 to be completely on schedule is off to a GREAT start. But it's not going to happen again! I have plans, and I'm going to stick to them. And one misstep shouldn't mean I give up on the whole goal! So here's to the rest of 2017 being completely on schedule. Anyway, moving on to posts that are on schedule - top ten Tuesday! This was a pretty easy topic - I never get around to all of the books that I want to. I'd say that the I read the most releases from any given year in the next year, so I'm sure I'll be reading plenty of 2016 releases this year. Here are the ten that I'm most excited about! THIS SAVAGE SONG by Victoria Schwab (Monsters of Verity #1): I've been saying that this book ...