Skip to main content

MASSIVE Start-of-Summer Book Haul!

I always end up buying a bunch of books at the beginning of summer. It doesn't matter that my preexisting TBR was over 20 books, which, when combined with going to the library far too often, is more than enough to keep me busy. It's a leftover habit from when I was a small child, and *gasp* didn't have a TBR at all times. I needed to have new books because I'd suddenly have lots more time and not enough to read.

This book-buying spree was a bit bigger than normal, because I went to Barnes & Noble, and Amazon, AND a used bookstore, so in total, I got 26 books in the span of of about 4 days. I think that's a new record.


The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson: I literally just finished this book, and it's a new favorite, so of course I can't write anything coherent about it except that I LOVED it! I also have to say that I owe this to Sky @ Sky's Reading Corner because I was being indecisive about which book to get and she told me to get this one. THANK YOU!

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig: I think I first heard about this book when Cait @ Paper Fury posted a review a few months ago, and I knew that I had to read it! Time travel, pirates (I think), and adventure - definitely need to get to this one soon!

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett: Another book that I've already read. I don't know what happened to my copy of this, but I found a like-new copy for only a few dollars and I got it. Because it's great. There's sass and a talking cat and stories within stories. If you haven't read Terry Pratchett, I think this is a pretty good place to start.





A Series of Unfortunate Events (#2-3, #5-13) by Lemony Snicket: I completely lucked out here. I love this series, but I didn't own it, so I got the first book a few months ago at a used bookstore and just resigned myself to slowly accumulating them, one by one. But then I went back to the bookstore and eleven of them were there! In hardcover! In great condition! As soon as I get book 4, I'm going to do a series reread.



The Distance Between Us by Kasie West: I'm THRILLED that I found a copy of this, because it's one of my favorite contemporaries ever and it was on my Standalones I Need to Reread post a while back. Now I don't need to wait to get it from the library again! I'm definitely rereading this one this summer.

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare: Another series that I've already read and am just getting around to owning. I now have half the series! This one wasn't my favorite, but I liked it, and I'm one step closer to having the full set. And yes, I got the old cover, because I have the first two books with that cover and I want them to match.

Fire by Kristin Cashore: I have to give another shoutout to Sky @ Sky's Reading Corner because she's been telling me to read Graceling forever, and then she got it for me for my birthday. I saw this at the bookstore, and I figured, why not just binge-read the series? So now I just need to find Bitterblue somewhere.



That Summer, Someone Like You, The Truth About Forever, and This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen: I've already read The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby, but I never got around to That Summer or Someone Like You. And it's great that I have them all, because it's not really summer until I read at least one Sarah Dessen book. Now the only question is which one!


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey: I've actually had an e-book copy of this for a while, so I don't know why I haven't read it yet. I have a habit of getting an e-book and then either reading it right away or not reading it for 2.7 years. Maybe having a physical copy will motivate me to pick it up?

Cress by Marissa Meyer: I found this beauty in hardcover in near-perfect condition for only $7. It looks so pretty on my shelf next to Winter! This wasn't my favorite book in the Lunar Chronicles (that honor goes to Scarlet), but I did LOVE it and I really want to reread the series now. (If you couldn't tell, I want to reread ALL the things this summer for some reason. And also read all the things. Which may present a problem.)

When We Collided by Emery Lord: I really liked Emery Lord's first two books, so I'm SUPER excited for this (even though I've heard some mixed things). It's another one that I'm just going to have to read this summer.


The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan: I already owned a copy of this. And I got another, because my old copy was a paperback and I finally caved in to the desire to have the whole series be matching hardcover. And maybe, just maybe, I'll FINALLY read this book this summer. I don't know what's taken me so long! At this point, I might have to reread the entire series to refresh my memory. And so the TBR grows...

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli: This was my favorite book of last year, so I had to get a physical copy. And probably reread this one, too, because a) it just makes me so happy and b) I didn't get a chance to read this while eating Oreos, which is practically required. I got the paperback, so it has two chapters of Becky Albertalli's next book in the back! I haven't decided whether I'm going to read those yet, though, because it might just make the wait seem that much longer.

What books have you gotten recently? Is there a time of year when you always buy new books? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

My Top Ten Books of 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly f eature at The Broke and the Bookish . This week's theme: top ten books of 2016. A little less than a year ago, I started my blog by making a post of my top 10 favorite books of 2015 . And now here we are again! I've come so far in blogging , and it 's really amazing to be creating the same kind of post as my fi rst one again - but I'l l save the nostalgia for my blogo versary post later this week. Last year, all of the books on my list were also on my all-time favorites list. I didn't quite read ten all-time favorites this year, so I added a couple of five-star but not-quite-favorite books to this post. I also didn't include any rereads on this list - I reread quite a few favorite books this year, and that wouldn't be fair to the rest! But anyway, here are my ten favorite books that I read in 2016. 10. THUD! by Terry Pratchett (Discworld #34) I don't think it would really be a list of my favorite books from a ye