Skip to main content

Booktubeathon TBR Suggestions

Sometimes, you can be your own best inspiration. Case in point: I was trying to think of blog post ideas, and not having much luck, but then I ran across a post I did last year in which I gave recommendations for the Booktubeathon challenges. And, as luck would have it, Booktubeathon starts in just a few days, making it the perfect time recommend books for your TBRs again!

Some of the challenges this year a bit more difficult to recommend for, since they're a bit more personalized to the individual reader, but I still did my very best to find books that I've loved that would fit the requirements. So, if your TBR is a book or two short (or you haven't even made one yet - we've all been there!), here are some suggestions!


Let a coin toss decide your first read.
This is one of the more individualized ones, so I decided to go with books that I think will make a great start to any readathon. Maybe you can do a coin flip between two of these! Two of my absolute favorite books are HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME and A SEMI-DEFINITIVE LIST OF WORST NIGHTMARES, but if you want to give yourself the chance to read something more light-hearted, throw THE LAST SUMMER OF THE GARRETT GIRLS into the mix.

Read a book about something you want to do.
Again, a rather individualized one. However, there are some things in books that seem pretty cool to lots of people. If you want to go to Italy, you can live vicariously by reading LOVE & GELATO. The tech geeks who dream of programming summer camps can read WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI. And if you're more of a daredevil, the stunts in NOTHING BUT SKY might be more your speed.

Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation.
This one's a little tricky for me to recommend, because I don't actually watch a lot of movie adaptations. I've definitely seen a few good ones, though! If you want to laugh, I'd go with SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA, whereas THE BOOK THIEF will bring out the tears. And if you want to go see a movie in theaters, the movie adaptation of THE DARKEST MINDS is being released during Booktubeathon!

Read a book with green on the cover.
You can sort of choose how strict you want to be with this. Does the color green just need to be on the cover somewhere, or do you want to limit yourself to predominantly green covers? The color is of varying importance in the covers for LEAH ON THE OFFBEAT, THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE & VIRTUE, and YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE.

Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time.
I think this is this year's version of "read a short book." There are plenty of great books that don't take long to get through at all! The shortest that comes to mind is the novella EVERY HEART A DOORWAY. For a book where every page delivers an emotional punch, try DEAR MARTIN, and if you're in the mood for an apocalypse, I recommend VIVIAN APPLE AT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Read a book with a beautiful spine.
Now, I can't really show the spines here, so you're just going to have to take my word for it that the spines for I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE, THE NAMES THEY GAVE US, and TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE are all beautiful.

Read seven books.
I'm doing the same thing I did last year for this - comic/graphic novel recommendations! If you need something short to round out your seven, comics are the way to go. Some series starters that I've really enjoyed are the first volumes of YOUNG AVENGERS and ARCHIE, but if you want a shorter plot arc, I really liked the HAN SOLO miniseries.
Are you participating in Booktubeathon this year? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a