Skip to main content

3 Bookish Things Tag

I absolutely love doing tags! I think they're a great way to talk about all kinds of books. I don't really see that many new tags around, though, so I was really excited to see Cait @ Paper Fury's post, in which she created this out of bookstagram questions.

3 FAVORITE AUTHORS
 • I haven't even come close to reading all of Mindy McGinnis's books, but two of them are all-time favorites and all the ones I've read have been so good they've stuck in my head for a very long time
• a new favorite is Maurene Goo, who I'm entirely ready to crown as the new queen of fluffy contemporary
• I would honestly have put Rachel Lynn Solomon on here after reading only one of her books, but I was lucky enough to read an ARC of OUR YEAR OF MAYBE and absolutely adored it

3 WEIRDEST THINGS USED AS A BOOKMARK
 • when I'm reading in bed and I'm too tired to go find a bookmark, I'll just stick my blankets into the book
 • sometimes if I have a stack of books near me I'll just pick up another book and use it to keep my place
 • and if I'm really lazy I will somehow do more work by carrying the book around with my finger stuck in it to keep my place

3 SERIES BINGED
 • it took me a while, but I finally binged the Grisha trilogy in 2016 and it was incredible
 • I didn't binge the entire Vampire Academy series, but I binged each half of it! And considering how rarely I binge entire series, I'm going to count that.
 • I binged as much of Harry Potter as I could, considering that only the first five books were out when I started the series, and I've since binged the whole thing three times as a re-read
 
3 CHARACTERS YOU LOVE
 • for the sake of not repeating books I'm going to cheat a little, because I have to include both Adina and Tovah from YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE. They're both incredibly complex characters, and I love them both so much.
 • I really love Lara Jean from TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE. I'd need to reread the series to get into everything I like about her, but mostly, she's just so sweet and wonderful!
 • one of my all-time favorites is Tiffany Aching from the Discworld series. I loved seeing her develop, even though I still haven't finished the series

3 UNPOPULAR BOOKISH OPINIONS
 • at least as far as reading goes, paperbacks are better than hardcovers. I like both, but paperbacks just feel so much nicer while you're holding them!
 • I feel like this is popular in the bookish community but not in the world at large, so it goes in this category: most classics are overrated. There are some I really love! But most of the time when I read classics I just don't get what all the hype is about, even if I did enjoy the book.
 • overall, duologies are superior to trilogies. There are many great trilogies out there, and there are trilogies where I've loved every single book, but overall, I think the duology is a better series length.  

3 POPULAR BOOKISH OPINIONS
 I love books that make me cry. Or at least get me close to crying. Books are supposed to make you feel things, and if one made me cry, that's an automatic point in its favor as to how effective it was.
 • even though I say I'm pretty good at not judging books by their covers, a truly awful cover can change my opinion of the book. Especially when looking back at it after I've read it - what's the first thing I see and therefore the first thing I react to? The cover.
 • not really sure how popular this is - I'm gonna put it here because I don't think it's downright controversial - but the ideal length for a standalone is around 400 pages. This is obviously not a hard-and-fast rule, but this length usually gives me enough time to get invested without feeling like the book is dragging.

3 FAVORITE BOOK COVERS
 • I talk about this one endlessly, but the cover for THE NAMES THEY GAVE US is gorgeous
 • all of the books in the Gold Seer trilogy have amazing covers, but LIKE A RIVER GLORIOUS is probably the prettiest
 • the Firebird trilogy pretty much invented stunningly beautiful covers, and my favorite of those is TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU

3 BOOK GOALS FOR THE YEAR
 • I really want to clear out my NetGalley shelf, so that I can get my feedback ratio back up and not feel so guilty about it all the time. I made a post last week listing all the unread NetGalley books I have
 • not quite sure how I'm going to do this, but I'd love to get out of this reading slump. I haven't been reading hardly as much as I used to for about the past 9 months, and I want to get back into a good rhythm
 • this one isn't exactly a book goal, but I want to stick to a blogging schedule. I need to write more posts well in advance, and also accept that not every post has to go through the same amount of editing that I'd do for an academic assignment. My current schedule is three posts a week - hopefully it sticks!

What are the weirdest things you've ever used as a bookmark? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a