Skip to main content

Underrated 2017 Reads

One of my favorite things to do on this blog is talk about books that I love! Recommending them is great, and talking to people who have also read and loved them is great, too. However, a lot of my favorites are severely underrated, meaning that I don't get to talk with too many people about them. I guess that just means that I'll have to recommend them all the more, because these books deserve more love!

I've wanted to make this post for a while, but I wanted to wait a bit after the end of the year since so many of these are relatively recent releases. After all, a book that just came out a month ago hasn't had the time to become seriously underrated yet - people just haven't had the time to get around to it! At this point though, I can safely say that these all fall into the underrated category.


WONDERFUL FEELS LIKE THIS by Sara Lovestam
• centered around an absolutely wonderful friendship between a high school student and an old man in a retirement home
• I love books about music
• so many vivid scenes where I could just see everything
• full review here
  
THE HEARTBEATS OF WING JONES by Katherine Webber
• my favorite book of last year
• I finished it and pretty much immediately reread it
• such beautiful writing I cried
• made me really want more books featuring grandparents
• full review here
 
GIRL OUT OF WATER by Laura Silverman
• wonderful summery contemporary
• fantastic family dynamic
• gave me some unexpected emotions at the end, but so good
full review here
 
NOTEWORTHY by Riley Redgate
• pretty much the funniest book I've ever read
• I had high expectations and I was still blown away
• balances light contemporary with heavier topics 
• full review here
 
10 THINGS I CAN SEE FROM HERE by Carrie Mac
• one of the best books about anxiety I've ever read
• wonderful characters who I got attached to very quickly
• it just felt so real and raw
• I really needed a book like this and I'm so happy I found it
 
NORTH OF HAPPY by Adi Alsaid
• made me super hungry
• really powerful story about loss and self-discovery
• I loved this book right from the beginning and it just kept getting better 
 
ODD & TRUE by Cat Winters
• totally unlike anything I've ever read
• Cat Winters is the master of creepy historical fiction
• chronic pain representation! I almost never see this
• full review here
 
INTO THE BRIGHT UNKNOWN by Rae Carson
• perfect conclusion to a perfect trilogy
• I thought I couldn't love these characters any more, but I was wrong
• one of the most wonderful endings to any book ever  
YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE by Rachel Lynn Solomon
• anyone who likes reading about unlikable characters will fall in love with Adina and Tovah
• gave me so many feelings so quickly
• incredible writing
 
A SEMI-DEFINITIVE LIST OF WORST NIGHTMARES by Krystal Sutherland
• I didn't know what I was getting myself into with this but it was amazing
• made me sob on an airplane and made the middle-aged man next to me uncomfortable (sorry)
• broke my heart on at least ten separate occasions

What are some of your favorite underrated books? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

  1. I still REALLY need to read Wonderful Feels Like This and 10 Things I Can see from here but I COMPLETELY agree with all your other picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could get somebody to read most of these! And yes, I absolutely am going to keep bugging you about getting to those last two.

      Delete
  2. I read 6 of those, and I agree. They were fabulous, and I wish more people were screaming about them. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a