Skip to main content

Books That Surprised Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week: books that surprised you!

Well, it's been a while. I think I'm going to stop explaining all of my absences and promising to get back to a regular schedule, because it's always "school was stressful, I'll try to be more consistent, don't get your hopes up." Starting now, I'm just gonna consistently do my best and try not to apologize at the beginning of every post.

At first, I thought this week's TTT theme was going to be pretty repetitive, because I know I've already done at least two lists of books that have surprised me in a bad way. But then, I realized that I don't ever think I've done it the other way around! So here are some books that I enjoyed more than I was expecting to.

DEAR MARTIN by Nic Stone: I was fully expecting to like this book, but what I wasn't expecting was for it to become an instant favorite. It absolutely took my breath away, and I don't think I've stopped thinking about it since I finished it two months ago. It's an absolute must-read for everyone.

EVERY HEART A DOORWAY by Seanan MacGuire (Wayward Children #1): I was skeptical of this one mostly because of the length - how could something this short be so good, even if the premise was incredibly promising? It turned out to be a perfect length for the story, and an absolutely marvelous book.

HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME by Adam Silvera: I didn't think this book was going to be amazing because I wasn't the biggest fan of Adam Silvera's first book. I was so happy that this proved my totally wrong. It's one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm so excited to reread it again and again.

WE ARE OKAY by Nina LaCour: I really had no idea what to expect from this book, so I didn't want to get my hopes up for something spectacular. What ended up happening was that this book completely and totally wrecked me. It packs such a powerful emotional punch in such a short time, and it's such a wonderful story.

WONDERFUL FEELS LIKE THIS by Sara Lovestam: My expectations for this book came part-way into reading it. For the first hundred pages or so, I was enjoying myself, but didn't really connect with the book. That all changed, I got entirely sucked into the story, and these characters are still some of my favorites.

WOLF BY WOLF by Ryan Graudin (Wolf by Wolf #1): I was highly skeptical of this book going in, but it turned out to be even better than my wildest dreams. It was fast-paced and intense, and it's one of the most unique premises for a book that I've ever read.

WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman (If I Stay #2): I was a bit unsure of this book, since I didn't think the first in the duology lived up to the hype and I'd heard mixed things about this one. I've never been so happy to have an unpopular opinion. This book spoke to me on so many levels, and I basically inhaled it both times I read it.

RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen #1): I'd heard some mixed things about this series, so I tried to not have many expectations going into it. It completely blew me away within the first two chapters, and from there, it was a roller-coaster ride the whole way through. I'm so excited for the last book in the series this year!

LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices #1): I'd read a ton of other Cassandra Clare books before this, and while I liked them, I didn't really think that they lived up to the hype. This one, on the other hand, goes beyond the hype. I love this series, and this first book managed to completely destroy all of my expectations for it.

SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo (Grisha #1): I was probably the last person in the bookish world to read this series, and I was prepared for something good, but not necessarily great. I was totally wrong, and I'm thrilled about that. This whole series was fantastic, but this first book is the one that really shattered my expectations.

What are some books that exceeded your expectations? Have I convinced you to read any of these? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. I totally agree with History Is All You Left Me, Lady Midnight, and Where She Went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are definitely three REMARKABLE books!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites! I need to reread it sometime soon.

      Delete
  3. We Are Okay almost made my list too! It was probably my favorite book of last year. It is so quiet and unassuming until it rips out your heart a little bit lol. I am so behind on Cassie Clare but I hope I like Lady Midnight as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt about We Are Okay! And I was WAY behind on Cassie Clare for the longest time, so I know how you feel. I think I'm pretty much caught up now, though, and I can absolutely say that Lady Midnight is my favorite of her books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February Wrap-Up

I'm gonna be honest here : February's been rough. I'm surprised that I g ot a whole month's worth of posts up. I can 't really go into all the details right now, but the biggest thing is that I've had a migraine for almost two month s now and it's really getting in the way of me doing things. I've been to the doctor and gotten an MRI , but we're still w a iting on the results . So that's been messing with everything else in my life. Reading-wise, that means tha t I've been turning to audiobooks a lot. There are times that I literally don't have the energy to do anythi ng more than lie in the dark, but with audiobooks, I can get some amount of reading done even then. If you guys ha ve an y audiobook recomm endations, send them my way!   THE BOOKS PRODIGY by Marie Lu (Legend #2): I didn't like this one as much as LEGEND. I didn't think the plot was as interesting, and it was also pretty predictable. It set up the ...

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha...

Ten 2016 Releases I Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY Plan To)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten 2016 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY plan to) So, as you may have noticed, I only posted once last week. My plan for 2017 to be completely on schedule is off to a GREAT start. But it's not going to happen again! I have plans, and I'm going to stick to them. And one misstep shouldn't mean I give up on the whole goal! So here's to the rest of 2017 being completely on schedule. Anyway, moving on to posts that are on schedule - top ten Tuesday! This was a pretty easy topic - I never get around to all of the books that I want to. I'd say that the I read the most releases from any given year in the next year, so I'm sure I'll be reading plenty of 2016 releases this year. Here are the ten that I'm most excited about! THIS SAVAGE SONG by Victoria Schwab (Monsters of Verity #1): I've been saying that this book ...