Skip to main content

Review: Wonderful Feels Like This

Title: Wonderful Feels Like This
Author: Sara L











This book was a really lovely surprise. I'll admit that I wasn't really engaged in the story at the beginning, but before I knew it, I was completely sucked in!

Steffi Herrera is such a wonderful character. Right from the beginning, I felt a connection to Steffi, and I think that will apply to tons of readers. It's not that she's relatable in any specific way - it's more that there's just something inside her that speaks directly to you. Sure, you could put her straight into the cliché boxes of the loner, the one who gets picked on, the one who doesn't quite fit in with her peers, but she never feels like a cliché. She just feels like a person, just like all the best characters do.

I really loved the way this story was told. I love books that have multiple plotlines coming together, especially when one is in the present and one is in the past. This book takes that to a remarkable level, with one story being set in the present and the other in the 1940s. I'll admit that the transitions were a bit clunky - pretty much every time, some sentence would be repeated almost exactly, going from first-person dialogue to third-person narration. The two stories were mostly separate, but the ways that they fit together made both of them stronger.

This was a really good book, but I found myself wishing that it were a movie. The music in this book was so important that i really wanted to hear it accompanying the story, and there were so many scenes that I could envision perfectly in my head. I want to hear Steffi play bass. I want to see the 1940s nightclubs. I want to experience everything.

By the end of the book, Steffi, Alvar, and their stories had firmly worked their ways into my heart, and I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

What are some of your favorite books that focus on music? What about books that you wish were movies? Tell me in the comments!

Goodreads summary:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower in this novel celebrating being a little bit odd, finding your people, and the power of music across generations.
For Steffi, going to school every day is an exercise in survival. She’s never fit in with any of the other groups at school, and she’s viciously teased by the other girls in her class. The only way she can escape is through her music—especially jazz music.

When Steffi hears her favorite jazz song playing through an open window of a retirement home on her walk home from school, she decides to go in and introduce herself.

The old man playing her favorite song is Alvar. When Alvar was a teenager in World War II-era Sweden, he dreamt of being in a real jazz band. Then and now, Alvar’s escape is music—especially jazz music.

Through their unconventional but powerful friendship, Steffi realizes that she won’t always be lonely in her small town. She can go to the music school in Stockholm. She can be a real musician. And she can be a jitterbug, just like Alvar.

But how can Steffi convince her parents to let her go to Stockholm to audition? And how is it that Steffi’s school, the retirement home, her music, and even her worst bully are somehow connected to Alvar and his story? Because as it turns out, everything is, in the end, linked...

Comments

  1. What a unique sounding book! I'd never heard of it before but it certainly sounds original and I love books that feature music very strongly. It's almost like this book needed a soundtrack to it or something to really get you into everything but it still sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a soundtrack for this book! I've actually been considering going through it again to try and find all of the songs and make a playlist.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a