Skip to main content

March Wrap-Up

Remember when I said in my last post that I'd (hopefully) be back to a more normal posting schedule?
Yeah, let's all take a moment to laugh about that, because the alternative is falling into a pit of stress about how this semester is kicking my ass. I've gone into some of the reasons on here before, but basically, March was a mess. I'm not gonna give a whole lot of details, because I want to focus on the good parts and the books, but for the rest of the semester, all of my promises and good intentions are more or less out the window.

Basically, I've been busy. I haven't had a lot of time to read, or to blog, or to do much of anything. Even sleeping has been sacrificed (sometimes). Such is the life of a college student. Things should be getting a bit less stressful in a week or so, but then there are finals and basically I should just hold my breath until the end of the semester.

It wasn't all bad! I had spring break, which I desperately needed, which is the reason this wrap-up has a normal-ish number of books on it. And while I was home, I got to go to the U.S. book launch for THE HEARTBEATS OF WING JONES! This was my first book event ever, and it was amazing. I still can't believe that the timing worked out that well!

THE BOOKS 

LETTERS TO THE LOST by Brigid Kemmerer: This was such a lovely book! And it was one of those ones that just kept getting better as it went along so I just kept getting more and more impressed and it was great. I'll have a full review up for this one soon.

GIRL OUT OF WATER by Laura Silverman: It's (almost) the season for contemporaries! (On a related notes, I can't believe it's going to snow tomorrow.) And believe me, you're going to want this one. It's such a wonderful story about family, friendship, and swoon-worthy romance, and discovering who you are and where you fit in.

THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas: Everyone and their second cousin has already reviewed this, but the hype here is not undeserved. This book is almost 500 pages, and I still flew through it. Everything that I could possibly say has been said already, but I don't think it can be stressed enough how important this book is.

THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS by Rick Riordan (Heroes of Olympus #5): This book has literally been at the top of my to-read list for three years and I finally did it! And I was pleasantly surprised! The last book in the series let me down a little bit, but I liked this one a lot more. I can't wait to catch up with Rick Riordan's new series now! I listened to the audiobook, which wasn't the best experience, but it wasn't awful.

SCARLET WITCH, VOL. 2: WORLD OF WITCHCRAFT by James Robinson: I love this series. I love Scarlet Witch. I need more. I also realized that I haven't read any comics in ages - I should really try to get my hands on some more!

THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis: I don't even know where to start with this absolute gem of a book. I can't stop thinking about it. There were so many parts of it that I didn't think were going to work for me, but they did. I don't want to say a lot, because I went in without knowing a ton about the book and I think that went pretty well, but I highly recommend this.

THE ONE AND ONLY by Valerie Tripp (American Girls: Maryellen #1): Difficult schoolwork reading = time for super-easy leisure reading! I've been meaning to catch up on the new American Girl historical character books for ages, and the library by my school has them. This was really cute, and if I'd been a bit younger, I'd have absolutely adored it. It didn't teach me as much about the 1950s as I remember the other books doing when I was little, but to be fair, I knew a lot less history then.

TAKING OFF by Valerie Tripp (American Girls: Maryellen #2): I was really impressed by this! I thought it was a big step up from the first book. It talked about the importance of polio vaccines, and it encouraged girls to go into science, and overall, it was just more put together than the first book was. I also loved the subplot with Maryellen's sister, Joan, figuring out what she wanted to do with her life.

Reread this month:
  • THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN by Mark Twain: I have such complicated feelings about this book. I really like Mark Twain - at least, I love THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER and I think that a bunch of shorter Mark Twain pieces that I've read are really funny - but this book just gives me weird feelings on so many levels. The first time I read it, it took me four years. Literally four years. This time, I had to reread it in a week for my Emancipation and the Afterlife of Slavery class, which gave me a different perspective on it, and I really don't know what to do with it.
DNFed this month:
  • BLOOD ROSE REBELLION by Rosalyn Eves: Nope. I just couldn't do it. This started out with so much promise, but by the time I was about a quarter of the way through, I was just rolling my eyes so much that I couldn't keep going. I didn't care about anything that was happening, and I just couldn't bring myself to finish.
READING STATS
  • Total books: 8 new, 1 reread, 1 DNF
  • Longest book: THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS, 516 pages
  • Shortest book: SCARLET WITCH VOL. 2, 112 pages
  • Favorite book: THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES
  • Least favorite (completed) book: THE ONE AND ONLY
  • Diverse reads: 7 (all except LETTERS TO THE LOST)
CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Backlist Reader Challenge: 3 this month, overall 11/60 (The Blood of Olympus, The One and Only, Taking Off)

Read it Again, Sam Challenge: 1 this month, overall 15/16+ (Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)

2017 Debut Author Challenge: 2 this month, overall 4/12 (Girl Out of Water, The Hate U Give)

2017 Series Enders Challenge: 2 this month, overall 3/5-10 (The Blood of Olympus, Taking Off)

BLOG POSTS
BLOGGING CHALLENGE PROGRESS

2017 Discussion Challenge: 0 this month, overall 2/11-20

How was your month? Are you falling a bit behind, too? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. I hope the last stretch of the semester smooths out for you. I remember the stress. Congrats on going to your first book event! I don't go to nearly as many as there are available. You've almost met one of your challenge goals! I'm nowhere near close. Hoping for April showers for all of us. Because more reading! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This month has been a bit better so far! I think this is the calm before the storm of finals, though, so we'll see how that goes. And I'm a lot closer on the rereading goal than I thought I'd be! I ended up rereading all of the Series of Unfortunate Events in January and February, so that helped a lot.

      Delete
  2. I think it's adorable that you read American Girl Doll books. My grandfather contracted polio in the mid 1950s and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. It was definitely a thing! And my mom wanted to take chemistry in high school, because she wanted to get into an actual bachelor of science program in nursing, and the teacher told her she couldn't sign up because, "you're just going to get married and have babies anyway." Her mom had to take it up with the principal, then Mom and another girl were allowed to take chemistry. Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Girl books are what really got me into history, and I've never really outgrown them! That's an incredible story about your mom!

      Delete
  3. My March was the same in term of coursework, so I totally sympathise. I read The Hate U Give too and it really is so brilliant. I hope the rest of the semester will be more bearable and you get to have some fun in between the studying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this semester has just been hectic for everyone. Hopefully we'll both get a bit of a break before finals!

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize THUG was almost 500 pages! I have this on my must read list based on every review I've read on this book so far. So 500 pages just means I get to spend more time inside a book I love. I tried to read The Female of our Species, but just couldn't finish it. I know sometimes a book may be really excellent, but not for everyone and I'm okay with that. I love meeting authors too. Good luck with school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THUG is definitely on the long side for a contemporary! And I can understand why The Female of the Species wouldn't be for everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a