Skip to main content

Review: The Pants Project

Title: The Pants Project
Author: Cat Clarke
Series: N/A
Length: 272 pages
Published by: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Publication date: March 7, 2017
Diversity: trans main character with two moms, disabled supporting character
Rating:
Source: eARC via NetGalley  



This was just so gosh darn cute. I love happy queer books! And I'm so happy that these kinds of books are becoming more widely available and being written about a wider variety of characters.

Minor spoilers ahead, with no details - I was really happy to see a story involving a queer character who starts out in the closet whose story doesn't revolve around coming out. We need all kinds of queer stories, because there are all kinds of queer people! And I can't think of too many others that are like this.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how diverse this book is. I knew it had a trans main character when I picked it up, but he has two moms, and one of his best friends is disabled!

Liv is such a great protagonist. He's funny, he has good intentions even if he doesn't always go about things in the best way, and no matter how great he is, he's still realistically imperfect. His voice made me like him right off the bat, and I was rooting for him the whole way through!

This wasn't the main focus of the book, but one of my favorite parts was how this discussed that apologizing for something doesn't automatically make everything okay. There were a few times that I was worried that things would be resolved in a quick, forced way, since I tend not to expect as much depth from middle grade (which is a habit I should really break). But I had nothing to worry about! It handled real emotions and real problems exceptionally well.

I may not have given this a full five stars, but really, I have no complaints. I guess it was just missing that little extra something that would have made me absolutely love it. If this kind of book seems like your thing, I'd highly recommend it!

What are some of your favorite happy queer books? What about your favorite middle grade books? Are you going to read this? Tell me in the comments! 
Goodreads summary:
"My name is Liv (Not Olivia)... I'm not technically a girl.

I'm Transgender. Which is a bit like being a transformer. Only not quite as cool as cool because I probably won't get to save the world one day."

A Transformer is a robot in disguise. Liv is a boy in disguise. It's that simple. Liv knows he was always meant to be a boy, but with his new school's terrible dress code, he can't even wear pants. Only skirts.

Operation: Pants Project begins! The only way for Liv to get what he wants is to go after it himself. But to Liv, this isn't just a mission to change the policy- it's a mission to change his life. And that's a pretty big deal.
 
 

Comments

  1. This book sounds super cute - never heard of it before today either. I'm trying to read more diverse books this year so thanks for putting this one on my radar - adding to the wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a