Skip to main content

Chanukah Book Tag (Original)


I LOVE this time of year. There's just so much happiness to go around! And while a lot of that is connected with Christmas, there's another holiday around this time that doesn't get as much attention. (Actually, there are a number of holidays, but I'm just focusing on one here.) Chanukah!

Chanukah is one of my favorite holidays, along with Thanksgiving and New Year's. And it's also right up there with Thanksgiving for best food - latkes, sufganyot, chocolate gelt, and I need to stop because I'm getting hungry. And frankly, it deserves more love. If I see Santa everywhere for two months, I want to start seeing a few more menorahs. Especially since this year, the timing is perfect - the first night of Chanukah is also Christmas Eve!

So, after seeing a lot of Christmas spirit in the book blogging community, I decided to add some Chanukah into the mix with a book tag! I had a lot of fun creating this - I've never come up with a tag before, and making the questions was a really unique challenge. I hope you'll have fun reading and maybe even making a post of your own!


My problem with fictional name spelling isn't so much getting it right as just doubting myself. Like, I know that her name is Shahrzad, but am I sure that it's not actually Sharzad? Or Sharzahd? I always have to triple check.


It seems like there are more and more of these lately, but the one that comes to mind is the A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES series! ACOMAF blew my mind, and it's absolutely killing me that we can't even know whether the new books are sequels or prequels or spin-offs, because apparently that's too spoilery. Whatever they are, I'm so excited!


How could I choose anyone besides the Black Betty Crew from THE DARKEST MINDS series? Ruby, Liam, Chubs, and Zu are some of my favorite characters from anything, and as a team, they're perfect. of course, there were a bunch of other people involved in resisting the camps, but I'll always love the original crew the most.


Hands down, SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA. I swear that this book is magic. Both times that I've read it it's just filled me with this absolutely infectious happiness, no matter how I was feeling before I picked it up. I know it's going to be a book I reread many more times.


I feel like I'm always saying the same thing for questions like this, but it's so true - WOLF BY WOLF was a book that I wasn't even sure I was going to like, and now I can't stop raving about it! It was just so incredibly well-written and suspenseful and unique that I could barely put it down. If you haven't read this book yet, you need to.


This is a toss-up between butterbeer from HARRY POTTER and November cakes from THE SCORPIO RACES. How do I choose? They both sound so delicious! And they sound like they would go together really well, too.


(Okay, so maybe this isn't really a rivalry, but in my opinion, you either choose applesauce or you're wrong. Why are there even other options?) I feel like I've been talking a lot about this book lately, but the rivalry between Vika and Nikolai from THE CROWN'S GAME is amazing. The stakes are high, but they don't really hate each other personally, and they have to show off their incredible magic skills to prove they're the best.


THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING is one of the cutest and most adorable books I've ever read! It's long for a contemporary, but I flew through it anyway because I have a tendency to devour cute books in one bite. 


This is a difficult choice for me, but I finally settled on Rainy Schulterman from FRONT LINES. She's an awesome, badass intelligence worker in World War 2, and she doesn't put up with anyone who doesn't acknowledge that she's literally the best at what she does. Even though she's one of the three main characters, we didn't really see a lot of her in book 1, so I'm hoping that we see more in book 2!

I'm going to tag...Sky @ Sky's Reading Corner, Avery @ The Pages are Bookining, Cilla @ Paved With Books, Liz @ Out of Coffee, Out of Mind, and literally anyone else who wants to do this tag - let's spread some Chanukah cheer!

Are you going to do this tag? How often do you read books with Jewish characters? When's the last time you had latkes? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

  1. OH OH I SO AGREE WITH SIMON BEING A LIGHT!! That book made me so haaaappy. And Simon is Jewish too, isn't he? I think? Eeep. And I loved Rainy in Front Lines too! And ohhhh the food in this post is making me super hungry...*pretends isn't thinking about applesauce right now* And YES I can never spell Shazi's name properly. I always mix up the Hs and the As because my brain hates me apparently.😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the happiest book I've ever read! And Simon isn't Jewish, but Nick and Blue both are, and so is the main character of Becky Albertalli's next book! Applesauce always makes me hungry, too. I use latkes as an excuse to eat so much applesauce.

      Delete
  2. I'm not Jewish, so I don't celebrate Hanukkah (seriously, I never know if I'm spelling it properly or not), but I do agree with you that there should be more Hanukkah decorations around! I loved the rivalry between Vika and Nikolai and of course, the Black Betty Crew is amazing. The Unexpected Everything was just such a sweet, heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you in on a secret: there's technically no right way to spell Chanukah! There are some ways that are just blatantly wrong, but since it's in a different alphabet, there's no one correct corresponding spelling. Most of the spellings have 8 letters because there are 8 nights of Chanukah, but I think that's about it for rules. So keep on spelling it however you want!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag, Clara! I don't know much about Chanukah at all, but this tag looks like a lot of fun :D I'm the same with Wolf by Wolf - I wasn't sure if I would like it, and then it turned out to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! And I'm so glad I ended up taking a chance on Wolf by Wolf. Definitely worth it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a