Skip to main content

Top 10 Books I CAN'T BELIEVE I Haven't Read Yet

Top 10 Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish, and this week's theme was Top 10 Resolutions for 2016. One of the suggestions was to list 10 books that you resolved to finally read in 2016, but I decided to change it up a bit. If I do read most or all of these books this year, that's great, but I'm not counting on it OR holding myself to it.

These are books that have been on my to-read list forever and/or books that tons of people have been talking about. Actually, the latter category is more like books that everyone was talking about when they were new and shiny and have since faded because, as I said, it's been forever.

(Note: Classics that I can't believe I haven't read yet could be another list entirely, so I decided to not include any of those here.)

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (Heroes of Olympus #5): Actually, I have a couple of ideas as to why I haven't read this one yet. I hadn't even read The House of Hades until last February (and I was way behind on that one, too), and that book let me down a little bit. However, I have an e-book copy of this, so there's still really no excuse. I just want to finish this series before I forget everything that happened in the first four. This book came out more than a year ago! I started this series in 8th grade! This is one I need to read soon.
The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan (Kane Chronicles #3): Another Riordan series finale that I haven't read yet. I even own a physical copy of this one! I read the first two books as soon as they came out and loved them both, and then I just...didn't pick this one up for a long time. I don't know why. And now I'm scared to get into it because I don't think I'll like it as much. Maybe what I need here is to reread the whole trilogy.




Eragon by Christopher Paolini (The Inheritance Cycle #1): Technically, I have read this book. I was maybe 10 years old when I got it from the library. However, when I set up my Goodreads and spent hours adding every book I'd ever read, I decided not to include this book because I couldn't remember anything. I'm not even sure I finished it! I own a copy of this one, too, and I've just never picked it up. I remember really wanting to read/reread this when I was in middle school because it was the book that everyone loved, but I never got around to it.




Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Graceling Realm #1): I can't remember when I first heard of this book, but I do know a friend recommended it to me a few months ago. And I still haven't read it. Why? Who knows. I have no excuses for myself here.








Legend by Marie Lu (Legend #1): This book has been on my to-read list so long that I have absolutely no memory of what it's about or why I added it in the first place. I only know it's a dystopia because the reading challenge I'm doing has a challenge to read a dystopian book and I was looking for things to read. That will probably be when I finally pick this one up.





The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: I first heard of this book when I was at summer camp a few years ago and my roommate was reading it. She highly recommended it, and I promised myself that I'd get a copy when I got home. That didn't happen. Since then, I've gotten an e-book copy, heard about it everywhere, and I still haven't read it. I have a feeling I'll get to this one soon, though.
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (The 5th Wave #1): This one I know I'll read soon. Are you proud of me? The movie comes out at the end of January, and it looks really good. I'd been putting off the book for a while because I wasn't sure whether it was really my thing, but if it's anything like the movie previews, I'm going to like it. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its movie, but I'm only judging its potential. I've already made plans to see the movie with a friend, but I've promised myself that I'm going to read the book first, especially since I already have an e-book copy. If all goes well, I'll have this one done by the end of the month.
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha Trilogy #1): Here's another one that I'll probably be reading soon, since I just picked up a copy. I considered reading this a while ago, but decided against it because it didn't really intrigue me. Then, I heard about Six of Crows. That book sounds amazing, and even though I know you don't have to read this trilogy to read Six of Crows, I want to at least try. If I like this book, I want to marathon the series, so I do want to wait until I can get my hands on the other two books (and maybe Six of Crows, too.)
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (The Queen's Thief #1): I've owned this book for a very long time. I tried to read it once, but it was in the middle of a reading slump and I only finished a few chapters before I got impatient. It's gotten to be such a permanent fixture of my TBR shelf that I almost never actually consider reading it. That's a problem that needs to be fixed, but I'm not going to force myself to read this one. I'll see what happens. Then again, that's what I've been saying for the past who-knows-how-many years.
The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation #1): Pretty much everything that I wrote for The Thief is applicable here, too. For some reason, the first time I read this, I thought it was high fantasy, so I put it down after 70 pages or so because I was confused. But it's historical fiction! It's set in Boston during the American Revolution, so it should be right up my alley. I just need to find the motivation to give it a second chance.





What books have been on your TBR forever? Are there any of these that I'm not actually the last person to read? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a