Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: movie freebie!
I don't really go to see a lot of movies. I don't even usually go to see the movies that I'm so sure that I want to go and see. Why? It could be that I find it hard to take one big chunk of time out of my day for a break. It could be that I'm just really bad at planning. The point is, the YA-book-related movies that I haven't seen vastly outnumber the ones that I have.
I was going to use this week's theme to talk about some of my favorite movie adaptations - like The Book Thief, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Flipped - and then I realized that I don't really have that many more to talk about. So I'm going to talk about the huge number of instances of me reading the book and just not getting around to seeing the movie.
1) THE HUNGER GAMES FRANCHISE: I actually saw the first movie in theaters! And I bought a ticket for the second one, but I got a refund because there were literally no seats left in the theater. I kept telling myself that I was going to go back...and then I didn't.
2) THE MAZE RUNNER FRANCHISE: I'm not really that surprised that I haven't seen this. I really loved the first book, but I didn't like the second and never bothered reading the third. I knew I wasn't going to be interested in the movies, but I considered going to see the first one for a while. I still might.
3) PAPER TOWNS: I was so sure that I was going to see this one, but I've kind of lost interest. I saw The Fault in Our Stars, and it wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was particularly great, either. Maybe I'll see this one sometime.
4) THE DIVERGENT FRANCHISE: I've seen exactly zero of these movies, which is kind of surprising because I read the books (the first two, at least) before the huge hype wave. But I heard from some friends who went to see the first movie that it wasn't that good, and so I decided that I didn't want to spend money for a theater ticket, and years later, I still haven't seen it. Oh well.
5) IF I STAY: I was so excited when I saw that this was going to be a movie! And I still really want to see this one. I don't know why I haven't. I should really get on that sometime soon.
6) CITY OF BONES: Not at all surprised that I haven't seen this. I know I'm not the biggest fan of the Mortal Instruments series - I like it, but not as much as everyone else seems to. And I'm pretty sure that everyone I know who's seen the movie didn't like it. And now that we have Shadowhunters (which I'm super behind on, incidentally), I don't really see the point of seeing this.
7) MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN: I was so excited about seeing this! I actually had a plan to see it this weekend, and then it isn't showing in the theater near me anymore. (I mean, it's been two months, so I don't know why I was expecting it to be there, but it isn't.) Now I'm going to have to wait until I can rent it online or something, and I'm so disappointed that I missed this one.
8) TWILIGHT: I have a long, complicated relationship with the Twilight series. That relationship didn't involve the movies in any way, shape, or form. I kind of want to see them, just because they were so incredibly popular, but also, I just don't really have any interest in them. Maybe someday.
9) ENDER'S GAME: I have very mixed feelings about this book. I think it would be pretty amazing to see some parts of it on the big screen, but also, I don't want to financially support Orson Scott Card at all. So I guess if I do see it, I'll have to wait until my library gets it.
10) I AM NUMBER FOUR: I actually forget that this book exists for long stretches of time, and I definitely didn't know that it had a movie. I don't think I liked the book enough to go out of my way to see the movie, but then again, it's been so long since I read the book that I only really remember two scenes.
How often do you go see movie adaptations? What are some of your favorites? Are there any on this list that I should absolutely see ASAP or not bother seeing at all? Tell me in the comments!