And, because Cait is inspiring in only about a MILLION ways, I decided to try something new by putting some of my bookstagram photos into a post! (She's definitely not the only person who does this, but she's the first person I saw doing it.) In case you couldn't tell, I love bookstagram so much, and I'm SO glad that I finally caved and made an account a couple months ago.
1) Currently reading? I'm in the middle of a giant Walt Disney biography, but I haven't made any progress on it recently because I've been reading other things in the meantime.
2) Should've read, like, yesterday? Shadow and Bone. Everyone loves this trilogy, and everyone loves Six of Crows even more. And with Crooked Kingdom coming out at the end of September, I really need to get on this. I even own this book, so I really have no excuse.
3) Book that impacted you? Is it too cliché to say Harry Potter? Because I seriously can't think of any other book or series that affected as much of my non-bookish life. For starters, being sorted into Slytherin gave me a bit of an identity crisis.
4) Hyped vs backlist titles? Generally hyped, because it's so fun to be excited at the same time that everyone else is excited. But I also love backlist, because if it's still being talked about after the initial hype, then it's probably really worth it.
5) Current series crush? The Firebird trilogy. Incredible worldbuilding, exciting plot, and gorgeous covers - this series pretty much has it all, and I can't tell whether it's exciting or awful that the series finale is coming this November!
6) How strong is your self-control around books? Generally pretty good, but not quite as good as I'd like it to be. I don't go broke after a bookstore visit, but my purse is significantly lighter. And, of course, all bets are off if it's the library.
7) Plot vs characters? If it comes down to it, characters, but most of my favorite books have both.
8) Would you write under a pseudonym? Maybe? I don't write books, so I think that this question is mostly irrelevant, but I wouldn't write anything under a pseudonym unless I could think of a good one. Which hasn't happened yet.
9) Would you marry your bookshelf? Absolutely. I think it's all but official already.
10) Do you ever get sick of reading? Sometimes, but I always come back to it pretty quickly.
11) Random bookish memory? When I was about 4, I got my first library late fee. I thought I'd lost the book and was seriously considering never going to the library ever again when I found it in the back of my mom's car. Best long-term effect: I used it to start my Common App essay.
12) Character you relate to? Adam from If I Stay/Where She Went. Which is not great, because a lot of people have him on their most-hated characters list, and I still haven't figured out why.
13) Do you own bookish merchandise? I have a Slytherin tie, a Time Turner necklace, and a Marauder's Map.
14) Controversial opinion? I really don't like when people complain about how an author's books are too similar, or how they're writing too many books in the same world. If you don't like the idea, don't read it, but don't insult the people who want to read it and don't give star ratings to things you haven't read.
15) NOTP? Bella and Edward. I should probably mention that I haven't read Twilight in about six years and I can't really remember whether Jacob is a better alternative, but I am NOT a fan of Edward.
16) Why didn't I love this? I know I have HUGE black sheep opinions about The Winner's Curse and Just One Day, and I'm still not sure why.
17) Hardcover vs paperback? I love both, but when it comes down to it, paperbacks. They're just so wonderfully comfortable and portable. And I know that they get beat up more easily, but as long as it's not too much, I don't really mind if they're not in absolute pristine condition.
18) Do you ever like villains? Only as characters, and only when they're done really well.
19) Cringeable reads? Definitely Royally Lost. Made all the more cringeable by the fact that I actually had pretty high hopes for this one.
20) Where do you get your books from? Mostly from the library. Sometimes from Barnes & Noble, a used bookstore, or scavenging off of my friends' bookshelves.
21) Haunting read? Pretty sure I haven't stopped thinking about Burned since I read it last year, and that was even before I read the sequel and finally understood the ending.
22) Highly anticipated upcoming release? I feel like I've been talking about this forever, but AS I DESCENDED BY ROBIN TALLEY IS LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY. I MIGHT EXPLODE.
23) Annoying character qualities? When they can't get their priorities straight. Romance is not the most important thing in the world by any means. Also characters who are completely oblivious and take pages and pages to figure out what's obvious to the reader from one sentence, even with all the same information.
24) Least favorite genre? Sci-fi. There are definitely sci-fi books that I love, but it's just not one that I reach for very often.
25) Best tropes? Best friends falling in love. People having secret lives that are the opposite of what they'd usually be expected to do. Boarding school. Sarcastic characters. Sarcastic flirting.
26) Rereading? Yes! Although I never do it as much as I say I'm going to.
27) Have you ever abused a book? Only accidentally...but I've done quite a few things accidentally, including but not limited to tears, scrapes, and sliced dust jackets.
28) Series you quit on? Unwind. I liked the first book, even if it was a little creepier than I usually like, but I just didn't really care enough about it to continue the series.
29) Wish it wasn't a standalone? Free to Fall. I'm not sure about a sequel for this one, but a companion novel would be AMAZING, because the world is absolutely fascinating.
30) Bad bookworm side effects? Sometimes I read for so long that I have absolutely no concept of time anymore so I figure that I might as well keep reading and then four days have passed.
What are some interesting bookish facts about you? What are you currently reading? Which Hogwarts house are you in? Tell me in the comments!