Skip to main content

30 Bookish Facts About Me

A few weeks ago, Cait @ Paper Fury made a post called 30 Bookish Facts About Me You Didn't Even Know That You Wanted To Know, which included 30 bookish questions and 30 wonderful answers. And I loved it so much that I had to steal it with permission make a post out of it.

And, because Cait is inspiring in only about a MILLION ways, I decided to try something new by putting some of my bookstagram photos into a post! (She's definitely not the only person who does this, but she's the first person I saw doing it.) In case you couldn't tell, I love bookstagram so much, and I'm SO glad that I finally caved and made an account a couple months ago.

1) Currently reading? I'm in the middle of a giant Walt Disney biography, but I haven't made any progress on it recently because I've been reading other things in the meantime.

2) Should've read, like, yesterday? Shadow and Bone. Everyone loves this trilogy, and everyone loves Six of Crows even more. And with Crooked Kingdom coming out at the end of September, I really need to get on this. I even own this book, so I really have no excuse.

3) Book that impacted you? Is it too cliché to say Harry Potter? Because I seriously can't think of any other book or series that affected as much of my non-bookish life. For starters, being sorted into Slytherin gave me a bit of an identity crisis.

4) Hyped vs backlist titles? Generally hyped, because it's so fun to be excited at the same time that everyone else is excited. But I also love backlist, because if it's still being talked about after the initial hype, then it's probably really worth it.

5) Current series crush? The Firebird trilogy. Incredible worldbuilding, exciting plot, and gorgeous covers - this series pretty much has it all, and I can't tell whether it's exciting or awful that the series finale is coming this November!

6) How strong is your self-control around books? Generally pretty good, but not quite as good as I'd like it to be. I don't go broke after a bookstore visit, but my purse is significantly lighter. And, of course, all bets are off if it's the library.


7) Plot vs characters? If it comes down to it, characters, but most of my favorite books have both.

8) Would you write under a pseudonym? Maybe? I don't write books, so I think that this question is mostly irrelevant, but I wouldn't write anything under a pseudonym unless I could think of a good one. Which hasn't happened yet.

9) Would you marry your bookshelf? Absolutely. I think it's all but official already.

10) Do you ever get sick of reading? Sometimes, but I always come back to it pretty quickly.

11) Random bookish memory? When I was about 4, I got my first library late fee. I thought I'd lost the book and was seriously considering never going to the library ever again when I found it in the back of my mom's car. Best long-term effect: I used it to start my Common App essay.

12) Character you relate to? Adam from If I Stay/Where She Went. Which is not great, because a lot of people have him on their most-hated characters list, and I still haven't figured out why.

13) Do you own bookish merchandise? I have a Slytherin tie, a Time Turner necklace, and a Marauder's Map.

14) Controversial opinion? I really don't like when people complain about how an author's books are too similar, or how they're writing too many books in the same world. If you don't like the idea, don't read it, but don't insult the people who want to read it and don't give star ratings to things you haven't read.

15) NOTP? Bella and Edward. I should probably mention that I haven't read Twilight in about six years and I can't really remember whether Jacob is a better alternative, but I am NOT a fan of Edward.

16) Why didn't I love this? I know I have HUGE black sheep opinions about The Winner's Curse and Just One Day, and I'm still not sure why.

17) Hardcover vs paperback? I love both, but when it comes down to it, paperbacks. They're just so wonderfully comfortable and portable. And I know that they get beat up more easily, but as long as it's not too much, I don't really mind if they're not in absolute pristine condition.

18) Do you ever like villains? Only as characters, and only when they're done really well.

19) Cringeable reads? Definitely Royally Lost. Made all the more cringeable by the fact that I actually had pretty high hopes for this one.

20) Where do you get your books from? Mostly from the library. Sometimes from Barnes & Noble, a used bookstore, or scavenging off of my friends' bookshelves.

21) Haunting read? Pretty sure I haven't stopped thinking about Burned since I read it last year, and that was even before I read the sequel and finally understood the ending.

22) Highly anticipated upcoming release? I feel like I've been talking about this forever, but AS I DESCENDED BY ROBIN TALLEY IS LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY. I MIGHT EXPLODE.

23) Annoying character qualities? When they can't get their priorities straight. Romance is not the most important thing in the world by any means. Also characters who are completely oblivious and take pages and pages to figure out what's obvious to the reader from one sentence, even with all the same information.

24) Least favorite genre? Sci-fi. There are definitely sci-fi books that I love, but it's just not one that I reach for very often.

25) Best tropes? Best friends falling in love. People having secret lives that are the opposite of what they'd usually be expected to do. Boarding school. Sarcastic characters. Sarcastic flirting.
26) Rereading? Yes! Although I never do it as much as I say I'm going to.

27) Have you ever abused a book? Only accidentally...but I've done quite a few things accidentally, including but not limited to tears, scrapes, and sliced dust jackets.

28) Series you quit on? Unwind. I liked the first book, even if it was a little creepier than I usually like, but I just didn't really care enough about it to continue the series.

29) Wish it wasn't a standalone? Free to Fall. I'm not sure about a sequel for this one, but a companion novel would be AMAZING, because the world is absolutely fascinating.

30) Bad bookworm side effects? Sometimes I read for so long that I have absolutely no concept of time anymore so I figure that I might as well keep reading and then four days have passed.
What are some interesting bookish facts about you? What are you currently reading? Which Hogwarts house are you in? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a