Skip to main content

10 Books I Need On My Bookshelf ASAP

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: Ten Books You'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed You a Fully Loaded Gift Card

I get most of my books from the library, for a reason that every book lover can relate to: books can get really expensive really quickly. That's especially true if you're buying all of the books that you read. And I love the library...but I also love owning books. That way, I can keep them forever and they can sit on my bookshelf looking gorgeous. Here's a list of 10 books that I REALLY want to buy (which I am mostly stopped from by money).

Note: I didn't include any comics on this list. They fit perfectly into this category, since they're such quick reads that I almost always get them from the library instead of spending money on them, but I could easily make 5 books of comics I want to buy and I wanted a little more of a challenge.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Illustrated Edition by J.K. Rowling: This book is so gorgeous, and it's only the start of what is going to be an incredible illustrated series of Harry Potter books. And I was going to buy it the day it came out...and then I saw that it was FORTY DOLLARS. I mean, I can understand that - it's a big book, the illustrations took a lot of effort, and they know that there are enough die-hard Harry Potter fans in the world who will buy this $40 book with no hesitation. But I thought about how many new books I could buy with that money, and I decided to wait. I'll get it someday.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling: Yes, there are two Harry Potter books on this list. Because this one is ALSO expensive - THIRTY dollars! And I'm already pretty much the only person in the world who didn't pre-order it and read it in the first six hours after release, so I know I need to read this soon or risk spoilers. But I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a book that I'm apprehensive about in the first place! (I wrote an entire blog post earlier this year about why I was - and still am - a little nervous about this.)

The Marvels by Brian Selznick: This one is pretty much along the same lines as the illustrated Harry Potter - it's a book I've read and loved (this is one of my favorite books of the year), but the illustrations make it expensive. In this case, it's a book that I got from the library last month, and thanks to the illustrations, it's a very quick read. I'd absolutely love to own it, though.


Black Heart of Jamaica and Cat's Cradle by Julia Golding (Cat Royal #5-6): Two books, same reasoning. I've loved the Cat Royal series since I found the first four books in my library when I was in elementary school. I was DEVASTATED when I found out that the fifth and sixth books hadn't been published in the U.S., and that there were no plans to do so. They're not always available on Book Depository, which has free shipping, and if I want to get them from somewhere else, the shipping is probably ridiculous. If I had a fully loaded gift card, though...no problem!


Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda: Another more-expensive-than-average book! I love Hamilton, and I really want to know more about its development. I've heard that there are some amazing stories in here, and I want to read them!

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - Puffin in Bloom Edition: I've already read Little Women, and I don't have any plans to reread it soon, so I don't really need to own a copy. But this edition is so gorgeous that even if I never reread it again, it would be a BEAUTIFUL addition to my shelves!

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab: Yes, this is just a normally priced hardcover, but I was going to buy it the last time I went to Barnes & Noble and it wasn't there! I've heard so many amazing things about this, and it's The Literary Lions' pick for August, so I want to get it soon! I'll probably get it off of Amazon in the next couple of weeks, but having a fully loaded gift card for it would be nice.



To Be or Not to Be and Romeo and/or Juliet by Ryan North: Once again, two books, same reasoning. These are both choose-your-own-adventure books based on Shakespeare plays, which is delightful enough in and of itself, but apparently there are dinosaurs in To Be or Not To Be and robot suits in Romeo and/or Juliet, which makes them even BETTER. I want to actually own copies of these instead of getting them from the library because I just want to be able to go through a couple of paths at a time whenever I want.

What are some books that you really want to buy? Are any of ours the same? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a