Skip to main content

Book Review: The Steep & Thorny Way

Title: The Steep & Thorny Way
Author: Cat Winters
Series: N/A
Length: 352 pages
Published by: Amulet Books
Publication Date: March 8, 2016
Diversity: Biracial protagonist (half black, half white), two major gay characters, minor black character (appears only as ghost), minor Jewish character
Rating:



I love it when I finish a book in a day. Not just the times when I have enough hours in the day to read an entire book, but when a book sucks me in so completely that I can't imagine taking any longer than a day to finish it. And I especially love when those books take me by surprise. This was one of those books.

I was absolutely sold on this book from the minute I read the synopsis. A book inspired by Hamlet set in 1920s Oregon with a biracial female protagonist? Count me in! And then I got even more excited after I read Cat Winters's previous YA book, The Cure for Dreaming, and it was amazing.

One of the first things I loved about this book is that it makes so many references to Hamlet, and yet it was definitely its own story. A lot of the names were similar - Hannalee for Hamlet, Laurence for Laertes, Gerta for Gertrude. Fleur (Ophelia) knows a lot about the purposes of flowers and plants. Hannalee talks to the ghost of her father. And yet the character's aren't always subject to the same fates. The characters who were Hamlet's friends were sometimes replaced with Hannalee's enemies, and vice versa. And instead of the ghost of Hamlet's father urging a reluctant Hamlet to avenge him, the ghost of Hannalee's father is shocked and tries to restrain a vengeance-bound Hannalee.

After a while, this book almost entirely departs from the Hamlet plotline. Things were not what they appeared, and neither were people. A conflict that starts almost entirely within one family ends up with discussions of some of the darkest parts of Oregon history - prejudice, the Ku Klux Klan, and the eugenics movement. I learned a lot that I'm ashamed to say that I had no idea about before reading this. And these issues are not treated lightly - the book confronts the reader with how wrong things are head-on, and doesn't shy away from descriptions.

But the content alone isn't what made this book so incredible. The content may be powerful, but it's the writing that makes it really shine. I would have been moved by all of the things that I'd learned even if they were only written halfway decently. But the way these things were written moved me so deeply that I know I won't stop thinking about this book for a while.

The ending was some of the most beautiful writing in the book. So satisfying, so inspiring, and so hopeful.





Have you ever read any Hamlet retellings? Or other Shakespeare retellings? Did you like them? Are you going to read this one? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a