Skip to main content

Books That Surprised Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week: books that surprised you!

Well, it's been a while. I think I'm going to stop explaining all of my absences and promising to get back to a regular schedule, because it's always "school was stressful, I'll try to be more consistent, don't get your hopes up." Starting now, I'm just gonna consistently do my best and try not to apologize at the beginning of every post.

At first, I thought this week's TTT theme was going to be pretty repetitive, because I know I've already done at least two lists of books that have surprised me in a bad way. But then, I realized that I don't ever think I've done it the other way around! So here are some books that I enjoyed more than I was expecting to.

DEAR MARTIN by Nic Stone: I was fully expecting to like this book, but what I wasn't expecting was for it to become an instant favorite. It absolutely took my breath away, and I don't think I've stopped thinking about it since I finished it two months ago. It's an absolute must-read for everyone.

EVERY HEART A DOORWAY by Seanan MacGuire (Wayward Children #1): I was skeptical of this one mostly because of the length - how could something this short be so good, even if the premise was incredibly promising? It turned out to be a perfect length for the story, and an absolutely marvelous book.

HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME by Adam Silvera: I didn't think this book was going to be amazing because I wasn't the biggest fan of Adam Silvera's first book. I was so happy that this proved my totally wrong. It's one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm so excited to reread it again and again.

WE ARE OKAY by Nina LaCour: I really had no idea what to expect from this book, so I didn't want to get my hopes up for something spectacular. What ended up happening was that this book completely and totally wrecked me. It packs such a powerful emotional punch in such a short time, and it's such a wonderful story.

WONDERFUL FEELS LIKE THIS by Sara Lovestam: My expectations for this book came part-way into reading it. For the first hundred pages or so, I was enjoying myself, but didn't really connect with the book. That all changed, I got entirely sucked into the story, and these characters are still some of my favorites.

WOLF BY WOLF by Ryan Graudin (Wolf by Wolf #1): I was highly skeptical of this book going in, but it turned out to be even better than my wildest dreams. It was fast-paced and intense, and it's one of the most unique premises for a book that I've ever read.

WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman (If I Stay #2): I was a bit unsure of this book, since I didn't think the first in the duology lived up to the hype and I'd heard mixed things about this one. I've never been so happy to have an unpopular opinion. This book spoke to me on so many levels, and I basically inhaled it both times I read it.

RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen #1): I'd heard some mixed things about this series, so I tried to not have many expectations going into it. It completely blew me away within the first two chapters, and from there, it was a roller-coaster ride the whole way through. I'm so excited for the last book in the series this year!

LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices #1): I'd read a ton of other Cassandra Clare books before this, and while I liked them, I didn't really think that they lived up to the hype. This one, on the other hand, goes beyond the hype. I love this series, and this first book managed to completely destroy all of my expectations for it.

SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo (Grisha #1): I was probably the last person in the bookish world to read this series, and I was prepared for something good, but not necessarily great. I was totally wrong, and I'm thrilled about that. This whole series was fantastic, but this first book is the one that really shattered my expectations.

What are some books that exceeded your expectations? Have I convinced you to read any of these? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. I totally agree with History Is All You Left Me, Lady Midnight, and Where She Went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are definitely three REMARKABLE books!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites! I need to reread it sometime soon.

      Delete
  3. We Are Okay almost made my list too! It was probably my favorite book of last year. It is so quiet and unassuming until it rips out your heart a little bit lol. I am so behind on Cassie Clare but I hope I like Lady Midnight as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt about We Are Okay! And I was WAY behind on Cassie Clare for the longest time, so I know how you feel. I think I'm pretty much caught up now, though, and I can absolutely say that Lady Midnight is my favorite of her books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a