Skip to main content

Five Books I Should Have DNFed

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme: books you had a hard time with!

I've talked about DNFing books a few times on here a few times, but in case any of you have missed that, the gist of it is that I don't DNF books very often. Over the past couple of years, I've started doing it more, but I've still only ever DNFed 11 books!

This tendency to finish books I'm not particularly enjoying has led to some low star ratings and bad reading experiences that I think could have been avoided. Maybe if I'd been a bit more generous with my DNFing, I'd have missed out on that. And maybe if I remind myself about those books, I'll DNF more books that I'm not liking in the future. Here are five books that I really would have been better off putting down. (I really tried for ten, but since I only DNF books I have strong negative feelings about, I tried to use those same standards.)


ROYALLY LOST by Angie Stanton: The premise of this book sounded amazing, but I could tell from about halfway in that I hated pretty much everything about it. I think the only reason I kept reading was that I desperately wanted it to redeem itself. It didn't.

THE WARLOCK by Michael Scott (The Series of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5): I really hoped that this would be good. I liked the first four books in this series, but the ending of the fourth book didn't quite sit right with me. I should have taken that plus my disappointment in this book as a sign and just quit the series.

EMMA by Jane Austen: I just couldn't bring myself to DNF a Jane Austen book, but I really, really should have. I was bored, I ended up just skimming huge sections, and it was so long. I knew I wasn't liking it and I just kept reading anyway. Why did I do that to myself?

THE SCORCH TRIALS by James Dashner (Maze Runner #2): I loved the first book in this series, and I think that's why I finished this one, but I was enjoying it so much less that I should have just given up on it. It was so different from the first one - everything that I liked was gone. And it just kept getting weirder. At least I learned from this one and didn't bother reading the last one.

BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young (Dust Lands #1): I read this book so long ago that I don't remember all of the specifics, but I remember that it just kept getting weirder and weirder, in a bad way. I had no idea what was going on but I didn't really care. I was reading this on a friend's recommendation or I probably would have DNFed.

What are some books that you should have DNFed? How often do you DNF books? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a