Skip to main content

April Wrap-Up

This wrap-up is definitely going to be of the short and sweet variety. Key points from this month: I'm still unbelievably busy, blogging and reading are still taking back seats, but I'm still alive! And hopefully by the middle of May when the semester ends I'll be able to be on a more normal posting schedule.

THE BOOKS


REMINISCENCES OF MY LIFE IN CAMP by Susie King Taylor: This was required reading for my Emancipation and the Afterlife of Slavery class, and while there were certain sections of it that I really liked, the book as a whole was kind of boring. The author's experience as a whole was interesting and I'm glad I read it, but the book itself wasn't for me. ½

THE UPSIDE OF UNREQUITED by Becky Albertalli: I can't believe this book is finally out! I've been waiting for another Becky Albertalli book since SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA was my favorite book of 2015, and this one was pretty amazing too. (Maybe not quite as great, but that's setting a pretty nearly impossible bar.)

SEEKING MANSFIELD by Kate Watson: I read MANSFIELD PARK last year, and I was really interested in this retelling! There were some aspects that I really enjoyed, but I also had some problems with it. I'll post a full review for this one next month.

NOTEWORTHY by Riley Redgate: This was so great! The writing was perfect, the humor was exactly what I wanted, and the plot was so fun! I won't say a lot more because I have a full review for this one going up really soon, but this is definitely worth reading.

BLACK WIDOW, VOL. 2: THE TIGHTLY TANGLED WEB by Nathan Edmonson: This was a bit of a let-down after the last volume. To be fair, it's been about a year and I don't have the best recollection of what was going on, but I remember being so much more invested. The issues in this volume just seemed so much more disconnected. ½

BLACK WIDOW, VOL. 3: LAST DAYS by Nathan Edmonson: I loved the flashbacks in this volume, but I was pretty indifferent to the rest of it. On the other hand (and this goes for the previous volume, too), it's Black Widow. It really can't be that bad, because Black Widow is amazing.

READING STATS
  • Total books: 6
  • Longest book: NOTEWORTHY, 400 pages
  • Shortest book: REMINISCENCES OF MY LIFE IN CAMP, 136 pages
  • Favorite book: NOTEWORTHY
  • Least favorite book: BLACK WIDOW, VOL. 2
CHALLENGE PROGRESS
Backlist Reader Challenge: 3 this month, overall 14/60 (Reminiscences of My Life in Camp, Black Widow Vols. 2-3)

Read it Again, Sam Challenge: 0 this month, overall 15/16+

2017 Debut Author Challenge: 1 this month, overall 5/12 (Seeking Mansfield)

2017 Series Enders Reading Challenge: 0 this month, overall 3/5-10

BLOG POSTS
BLOGGING CHALLENGE PROGRESS

2017 Discussion Challenge: 1 this month, overall 3/11-20 (What Makes a Good Review?)

How have your months been? What's your favorite book you read this month? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. Some great books on here, glad to see you enjoyed Unrequited. It was one of my favourite reads of last month. Sorry to hear that Mansfield Park retelling didn't work out. I've never seen a retelling of it before so I'm a little intrigued. I'll just have to look out for another retelling instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Upside of Unrequited was so good! I knew I was going to like it because it's Becky Albertalli, but I flew through it. The Mansfield Park retelling just wasn't for me. I don't think I've seen any other retellings of that one, though - I'll be on the lookout, too.

      Delete
  2. Yay for still being alive!! Good luck with all of your uni work for this month <3 I've been hearing lots of good things about both The Upside of Unrequited and Noteworthy. Looking forward to read your thoughts on both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being alive is definitely good! And yeah, those two books are AMAZING. I'm really excited for more people to read them!

      Delete
  3. I've been crazy busy too, so I can definitely relate! I'm excited to read Upside---that's going to be my next read!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some time to relax soon! And I hope you like Upside!

      Delete
  4. I want to read Noteworthy and The Upside of Unrequited. Both sound like fantastic reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both of them - hope you like them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a