Skip to main content

4 Reasons Love & Gelato Made Me Want to Drop Everything and Move to Italy

Title: Love & Gelato
Author: Jenna Evans Welch
Series: N/A
Length: 390 pages
Published by: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Diversity: none
Rating:



I've always loved Italy. Now, keep in mind, I've been out of the U.S. for a grand total of 8 hours (to the distant land of Canada) and I've never even gone near Europe. But I've been slightly obsessed with Italy for quite a while. I have quite the musical background, and pretty much all of the directions in classical music are in Italian. All the pictures I've seen of Italy are gorgeous. And I could easily live off of Italian food for the rest of my life.

Love & Gelato reminded me how much I want to go to Italy someday. Here's some of the reasons why:

1. The scenery. I've always known that Italy is beautiful. If you haven't already done so at some point, you should definitely Google "Italian countryside." But Love & Gelato never lets you forget how amazing it is. The protagonist, Lina, is a runner, and we hear a lot about how blown away she is by her surroundings and how picture-perfect everything is. And that's not exclusive to nature - the cities are just as incredible. Lina visits Florence and Rome, and those parts made me want to see everything.

2. The food. I believe wholeheartedly that Italian food is the best kind of food ever invented. I would be perfectly happy eating nothing but pizza and pasta for every lunch and dinner for the rest of my life. And this is coming from someone who's only had American Italian food - I can only imagine how much more amazing actual Italian food is. And food is definitely a big part of this book. Lina's pretty much in love with the food from the minute she tastes the lasagna on her first day in Italy, and it only gets better from there.

3. The history. Okay, history isn't a huge focus of this book. But there are a few things sprinkled in, and I'm always awestruck when I read a book in a setting that's so full of history. (I'm a bit of a history nerd. Just a little.) Where I live, things that were constructed in the 1920s are seen as absolutely ancient. Even from just what's mentioned in the book, Italy's history sprawls through centuries.

4. The gelato. Yes, gelato gets a point that's completely separate from the food point. If you haven't tried gelato, do yourself a favor and get some stracciatella (not the soup, although I'm sure that's great, too). Gelato is basically ice cream, but BETTER. Again, I've only had gelato in the U.S., and I'm sure that Italian gelato is about a million times better. And there is plenty of gelato in this book. After all, it's in the title!

Of course, the main function of Love & Gelato was not to be an Italian tourism advertisement (although it would definitely work as one). It's a novel! And I know I haven't really talked about any of the typical things that make up a novel - you know, plot, characters, those somewhat important things - it's the setting that really sets this book apart. If you want a cute summer contemporary, there's no shortage of options in the YA world. But I haven't found that many that take place in Italy. (However, if you know of any more, please tell me.)

That said, though, I should take a minute to talk about the aspects of the book that aren't Italy. This book has incredibly lovable characters, from focused, competitive Lina to kind, thoughtful Howard. There are essentially two plots - one about Lina's adventures in Italy, and one, told through a journal, about her mother's. Both of them captivated me, and they parallel each other in a lot of ways, as Lina follows parts of her mother's path through Italy. It's a book about family, friendship, and love; it's about dreams and illusions and figuring out what - and who - you really want. And it's funny! I can't even begin to count the number of times that I laughed out loud at this book, which was a nice, unexpected, surprise.

There are a couple of things with the romance that might bother some people.  Firstly, it's a little bit insta-love-y, but if this makes any sense, it doesn't feel that way. So much happens that when I figured out that most of the book takes place in a span of less than a week, I was honestly shocked. And secondly, there is a love square (two intersecting love triangles). I'm not usually a fan of love polygons in general, and I could have done without this one, but it was well-written and it wasn't really a focus, so it didn't really make me enjoy the book any less.

So many people say that summer is the perfect time for contemporaries, and this is the perfect contemporary for summer. Highly recommended!

Have you been to Italy? Do you want to go? Have you read any books set there? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

  1. This sounds like a really cute book! I like stories that are set in different parts of the world, and I agree that gelato is amazing. I haven't been to Italy, but I definitely love Italian food and wouldn't turn down a chance to go have it there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cute book! For some reason, I haven't read that many contemporaries that take place outside of the U.S., but I really like reading them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Books I Need More People to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme: Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books You've Read in the Past Year or So. One of my favorite things to do is get other people to read books I love. That way, I can discuss the boo ks with them, and if I know their tastes well enough, I know I'm givin g them something that they'll love! Unfortunately, I can't do this with the entire world. And that means that there are books that I've really enjoyed t hat just aren't widely loved. Why ? I don't know. And that's why I spend so much time trying to get other people to read them. Here are ten books I've read some what recently that I think really deserve some m ore lo ve. IRON CAST by Destiny Soria: I'll never get tired of diverse books, I 'll never get tired of historical fiction, and I'll never get tired of positive female friendships. When you pu t those all together, they ma ke a book tha

Most Anticipated Reads: First Half of 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke a nd the Bookish . This week's theme : most an ti cipated reads for the first half of 2017. Wow, it's been ages since I've done a most anticipated list! In case you were wondering, my excitement for upcoming books is a s high as ever. It was so hard narrowing this list down to just ten, but I think I figured out the ten books that I'm most excited for in the first half of next year! I have a good mix of sequels and standalones (but onl y one debut, so there won't b e a lo t of overlap wi th the de buts TTT in a few weeks). Here are some of the books that I just can't contain my excitement about : OUR OWN PRIVATE UNIVERSE by Robin Talley - January 31: I love Robin Talley, and this book sounds like it's going to be so good! And it's going to have so much intersectionality! And the colors on that cover are just so aesthetically pleasing. DREAMLAND BURNING by Jennifer Latham - February

In Which I Consider My Ideal Post Length

I seem to be constantly going back and forth between having too many post ideas and not having enough. The thing is, though, that when I don't have a lot of ideas, it usually just means that I don't think I have enough to say about anything to actually make a post. Which poses an interesting question: how long do posts need to be? In particular, I'm thinking about discussion posts. I have a lot of bookish things I want to discuss, and discussion posts seem like one of the best ways to share my thoughts. But sometimes, my thoughts aren't fully-formed, or aren't that complex. I usually shy away from writing about those ideas because I don't think I have enough material to justify a post. But why don't I think I have enough? I've been a little behind on wr iting posts in advance, so it seem ed like I was running into th is question more and more often. And after a while of thinking about that, I had m y little breakthrough : I'm thinking a